Man with guide dog refused entry to the Fire Station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 January 2016 1.21pm
Not that I know much about guide dogs outerwear, I thought they had yellow harness? Or am I thinking Guide dogs for the Deaf? Either way the Bouncer should have realised once it was explained. I had elderly friend who was such a dog nut he took his in the pub with him, even New Year's Eve !
Monday 18 January 2016 4.28pm
Wouldn't have happened if it was still a proper fire station for the community
Monday 18 January 2016 5.31pm
So a guy with partial vision and hearing issues (but, from the article is evidently neither blind nor deaf) shows up at a bar with a dog that is not in any kind of guide harness or outerwear. Doorman refuses entry and assumes the guy is trying it on when he says "it's my guide dog!" (which may understandably seem a little farfetched given the facts above), but then relents and lets him in when a friend explains that it actually is a guide dog. Wow, that's quite the non-story.
Monday 18 January 2016 6.48pm
"with a dog that is not in any kind of guide harness or outerwear". How do we know that? I can't see it in the article.
Zoe
Monday 18 January 2016 7.48pm
It would be very uncommon that someone with an assistance dog wouldn't have a harness, but people with an assistance dogs legally have to carry a card to prove it, so they could have asked for that.

In reality, the dog was refused because people regularly refuse them, harness or not as they don't accept they should let them in. I work with someone with an assistance dog and the it's shocking the level of discrimination he suffers. Even walking to the station from work he gets hassle from people.
Monday 18 January 2016 7.56pm
Fair enough. That's an assumption based on the photo in the article and the common sense reasoning that if the dog had a bright yellow harness with "Guide Dog - Do Not Pet Me I Am Working" emblazoned on it, even the thickest of doormen would have picked up on it. And given that the guy is only partially impaired I'd be astounded if it did. I'm sticking with my "non-story" verdict.
Zoe
Monday 18 January 2016 8.48pm
Many of those who have assistance dogs are partially sighted, it just means you aren't totally blind. It covers a large range from being very short sighted to being able to see very little.
Monday 18 January 2016 8.49pm
No Nick I just assumed the dog would have had a yellow jacket or harness on so people would no block him.
Monday 29 February 2016 8.04pm
I love dogs and these companies are crap.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: