Chinese takeaways

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 28 January 2016 10.34am
Can anybody recommend a good Chinese takeaway around the E&C bend? I've been going to Double Happy near Long Lane for years (the best 1 I've ever had!) but I moved a bit further away now need a local fix.

BTW, if you haven't tried Double Happy you should. You can see the kitchen form the counter (spotless), the food to first rate and the staff are lovely.
Thursday 28 January 2016 11.54am
The best I have had is After Taste. Bit pricier than some of the others but delicious food and the quality of the meat is definitely better - you don't get that watery, spongey "meat" that some of the cheaper places use. They're a restaurant too which helps I think.
Wednesday 3 February 2016 3.08pm
i ordered once from aftertaste. the Chow Mein tasted as if it had sand in it or the driver dropped it in the road and scooped it back up. was shocked to be honest as they got good reviews!

I tend to order from New Wing Fu on Old Kent road, quite nice that you can specify dark or light rice/noodles. they aren't amazing i really love Fortune in rotherhithe, shame they don't deliver!

also Culture Grub on the Cut is now on deliveroo, for 2 delivery or something.

I find alot of chinese places tend to go right downhill so constantly trying to find a new one myself. New wing Fu is the most decent i found that delivers
Wednesday 3 February 2016 4.00pm
I had already tried Aftertaste (I'm not sure they thought the name through) and wasn't very impressed. Nothing in particular but I guess (for me) they need to be exceptional to beat Double Happy. I'll give Culture Grub a go, cheers.
Wednesday 3 February 2016 9.53pm
CultureGrub does a great chow mein and also duck and pork over rice. Tai Won Mein opposite the Tabernacle has the greatest deep fried squid, massive portion, cheap prices but no delivery / can takeaway.
Thursday 4 February 2016 9.05am
I'm gradually coming to the view that, with a few exceptions, very few "nice" places actually deliver. The truly good places don't need to deliver as people will happily come to them. That said:

The food from Crystal China on Tower Bridge Road is in my opinion excellent. Their delivery service is abysmal though. Don't have it delivered as you'll be waiting and waiting and waiting (goes back to my theory about them not really needing to put too much effort into the delivery side of things). But it is well worth going to collect it.

For a cheap and cheerful, but still very tasty, meal, Thames Takeaway (Tanner Street) is no-frills and very nice. Again, they don't deliver...
Thursday 4 February 2016 9.21am
I would like to second Thames Take Away - never had a bad meal from there in 20 years. Nice staff too!
Thursday 4 February 2016 9.25am
Another vote for Thames Take Away from me. Last time I was there we met some people who got the bus there from Charlton, ate the food on the bench inside & then went home by bus they love it so much !
Friday 5 February 2016 1.18pm
Golden Delight, Grange Road for me. And they deliver.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: