E and C Shopping Centre Stabbing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 1 February 2016 9.56am
There was a stabbing in the shopping center at around 5.30 pm near Ladbrokes upper level around 48hrs ago- not surprisingly with all the money being thrown here this has been kept under wraps much like the stabbing outside St Marys churchyard on Newington Butts late last year.

Although these incidents seem to be commonplace in media now local people should be aware of manner, frequency, location etc to stay informed and most importantly stay safe.

Related news & features

Monday 1 February 2016 10.24am
Kept under wraps? Hardly. The incident was reported both on this website and that of the Evening Standard.

Though it is true that police do not routinely issue news of such incidents a) unless asked by the media or b) they are running a witness appeal.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 1 February 2016 1.58pm
And if you do want to know what crime is like (albeit generically) the Met does publish maps of where things are bad:
http://maps.met.police.uk/
Zoe
Monday 1 February 2016 9.05pm
Knowing about it doesn't keep us safe, the chances of getting stabbed in the shopping centre are basically zero, given the numbers of visitors versus the number of stabbings We live in a really safe area and the chances of suffering violence anywhere in SE1 is very low (though we do have a bit of a problem with drink related violence).

Now, the chances of my bike being stolen are quite high, given that some of the wards are in the top ten for bike theft in the country. Knowing about that does make you safer, as you will use better locks on your bike.
Tuesday 2 February 2016 3.44am
i lived in Forest Gate area for 5 years in a small block of flats , in a small cul de sac. Before i moved to Waterloo 11 years ago .

In those 5 years nearly every flat in my block (16 flats) apart from mine was broken into twice - my flat was like fort knox ! had two murders in the street - one person stabbed to death another beaten to death at the entrance to my flats . Bike was stolen twice before i spent around 60 on a bike chain that would need the fire brigade "jaws of life" to break through it - then they just used to strip the wheels , saddle etc whilst it was chained up outside the flat . I think in total there was around 20 murders within a mile of my front door in those 5 years . Final straw for me was having someone try and climb through my flat window in the middle of the night - i had window alarms that went off and woke me up - ran down my spiral stair case half asleep with a baseball bat in my hands before they ran off

I definitely feel safer in SE1 ....
Tuesday 2 February 2016 9.39am
Zoe - I'm not sure where you get your information from, it sounds like opinion......figures for 1 year in SE1

http://www.ukcrimestats.com/Postcode_Districts/SE1/

Violent Crime - 2154
Bike Theft - 590

If you don't like those stats check the home office, same skew.

And quite frequently people on this forum post about dodgy people in the parks, muggings on streets with the usual watch out and so on, so the general community concensus about being informed about violent crime is obviously important.

And how does using a better lock on your bike keep you safe ?????
Tuesday 2 February 2016 10.50am
SE1 is a very large postcode area - I stand to be corrected, but I'd hazard a guess that it's the largest SE postal district, perhaps second to SE28 (Thamesmead), and so the crime figures may seem comparatively high but then you're not comparing apples with apples. I'd suggest that to compare the figures Jinkazama has referenced it might be necessary to half the figures given. For example, Lambeth Bridge (SE1) isn't Bermondsey or Borough.
Zoe
Tuesday 2 February 2016 9.15pm
SE1 is well represented in the top ten places for bike theft, which is why it's very likely to happen compared to other places. Violent crime covers a wide variety of crimes, bike theft is a very specific crime, which is also acknowledged as under reported. You have to compare these figures with other areas as a comparison, not against each other (which is still high given that a minority of people have bikes but anyone could suffer a violent assault).

Actually, people rarely post about violent crimes, they are much more likely to post about dodgy developments and road problems, which reflects the issues we face around here.

Odd question about the bike lock, a better lock means it is much less likely to be stolen.

Ninja, wow, you did right to move! I hope you haven't brought it with you. I too have lived in some unpleasant areas, which is why I'm aware of how much nicer SE1 is. I happily go about at night by myself, where I don't feel safe in some other areas locally.
Tuesday 2 February 2016 11.35pm
Zoe wrote:
Actually, people rarely post about violent crimes

Not only don't they post, they don't even report to the authorities: very recently a Draper Estate resident was subjected to a random assault in Hampton Street during which he was knocked out cold by two strangers whom he had never met before.

I urged him to make a police report, but he was reluctant to do so on the basis of "there's no point, they'll never catch them".

Because of this, this crime will never be included in any statistic: if any of you reading this, or any of your acquaintances, have been victims of violent crime please report the incident to the police: without accurate numbers we stand a lower chance of action being taken to prevent these assaults.

Out of sight, out of mind. Until we end up in A&E after receiving a random beating or worse...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: