Travellers in Southwark

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 3 February 2016 4.40pm
Years ago the Councils had a statuary law to provide travellers sites. Wonder if this still applies? Used to be one on car par near nursery row, complete with water etc. three pound a week! Anywhere near the Shard vacant!

Related news & features

Wednesday 3 February 2016 4.53pm
Jan, I think it does and there is an authorised travellers' site in what I think is Gervaise Street (just off the Old Kent Road, Ilderton Road end). There is also one on Ilderton Road near to the parade of shops adjacent to South Bermondsey station.
Wednesday 3 February 2016 10.39pm
That's good Gavin, if they are chucked out of the pickle factory they have somewhere to go!
Thursday 4 February 2016 12.56am
I have no problem with Travelers, and find it good that Southwark has set aside an area for them to dwell.

On the other hand, what I'm not a fan of, is Travelers who do not travel: those who simply live on the same site indefinitively in a mobile home that isn't going anywhere.

Wouldn't it be better for all if those willing to make SE1 their home were granted social housing tenancies?

I for one would much prefer living in an apartment than in a caravan if I intended to stay put.

The traveling community is much maligned, and often subject to racist banter that stereotypes and belittles them.

Southwark and Lambeth ought to make all travelers welcome, but should also distinguish between those who actually travel and those who do not.
Thursday 4 February 2016 8.04am
What a lot of people don't realise about travellers is that it's not about weather you Travel or not that makes you a traveller I myself am a traveller and Iv lived in a houses my whole adult life I'm not 31 and live in shad Thames.

We are a race of people and sadly we are very misunderstood.
Thursday 4 February 2016 2.10pm
I don't mind as long as they look after the site whilst they are there. We had some travellers set up temporary homes in Pages Walk and Leroy street about 25 years ago, they left the area strewn with rubbish and had lots of dogs and even a goat not looked after properly. So a big cost to the council who had to clean it up and the RSPCA too.
Thursday 4 February 2016 3.26pm
Billy1 wrote:
What a lot of people don't realise about travellers is that it's not about weather you Travel or not that makes you a traveller I myself am a traveller and Iv lived in a houses my whole adult life I'm not 31 and live in shad Thames.
We are a race of people and sadly we are very misunderstood.

You may be wrong there Billy, I think that a lot of people understand them only too well.
My brother lives in Gervase Street, Peckham, and my sister-in-law is so sick of having her car tampered with, and broken into, that she now parks it on my drive in Rotherhithe, and take a P12 home, and a P12 back when she needs the car.
Thursday 4 February 2016 3.53pm
DJ, your brother and his wife have my sympathies vis--vis their car. It is a shame the culprits have not been identified.

But the inference from your post is that all travellers are thieves or "wrong 'uns". Whilst it is true to say that some thieves may happen to be travellers, it is not true to say that all travellers are thieves. As Billy has rightly said, travellers are indeed misunderstood (and vilified too).
Thursday 4 February 2016 5.30pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
DJ, your brother and his wife have my sympathies vis--vis their car. It is a shame the culprits have not been identified.
But the inference from your post is that all travellers are thieves or "wrong 'uns". Whilst it is true to say that some thieves may happen to be travellers, it is not true to say that all travellers are thieves. As Billy has rightly said, travellers are indeed misunderstood (and vilified too).

I was about to play devil's advocate and say something similar to your input Gavin.
I know that there is a traveller site in Gervase Street, and it's not unreasonable to think that the car 'inspectors' originate there, but absent any cast iron proof, it could have any scally.
Peckham is not really known as a hot-bed of upright, law abiding citizenry, is it?
Zoe
Thursday 4 February 2016 5.39pm
Going back to Jules62's point, the lack of social housing could well mean lots more people end up in temporary accommodation and static caravans are a good option when you have nowhere, for example the TEUs that are stacked up and turned into housing.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: