Tea and tour at Harper Road mosque

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 7 February 2016 8.32pm
I went to this today and was very impressed how much work they put in to the displays and information.
Everyone was very welcoming and took time to talk, and discuss any questions or points. I was pleased I went as I learnt a lot. Education and learning about other cultures and religions is the way to creating greater acceptance and integration. No-one really has a right to criticise or condemn others without first having taken some time to try and learn and understand. I now have a greater insight to some aspects of the Islamic ways and for that I am grateful.

Thank you to everyone involved.
Sunday 7 February 2016 8.39pm
What was this event? We live nearby and hadn't heard anything. Would be interested to go inside the mosque.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 7 February 2016 8.53pm
Ivanhoe - the details were listed on this website here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/17676/tea-and-tour

Unfortunately I didn't get to hear about the event till last Tuesday, so it didn't make it into the weekly email on Monday. But I tweeted about it a couple of times, and it was on the front page of the website from Friday onwards.

There have also been banners outside the mosque for the past few days to advertise the event.

The nationwide 'Visit My Mosque' initiative now seems to be an annual event, so hopefully they will take part again next year.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 7 February 2016 10.06pm
Ah, thanks James.
Silly me for missing it.
I pass there every day, but am on my scooter, so am concentrating on the traffic and the pedestrians (and yes, I do keep to 20mph or less;0))
Hope the event was successful, and hope I get a chance to visit in the future...

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 7 February 2016 10.10pm
Were women allowed to mingle freely with the men? I would have liked to have gone inside.
Sunday 7 February 2016 10.16pm
Yes, they were. All that was asked was that we remove shoes. Some women covered their heads but this was not asked for particularly. The welcome was very friendly and constructive conversations took place.
Monday 8 February 2016 9.52am
I went to the event last year as I was always curious about this beautiful little building. There was an older posh lady who was insisting on entering with her dog on the principle that she could get in any church with a dog, so why not a Mosque. She eventually relented and the Mosque caretaker took care of her dog but she did not linger as she could not bear to be separated from her pouch... People are funny...
Attendants were very friendly and said that anyone can come in the mosque anytime really, you don't have to wait for a special open door event.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: