Vacuum cleaner repairs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 7 February 2016 11.04pm
My Dyson, six y.o. has petered to a halt, almost like a car running out of gas, spit, sputter, spit, end of story.
I went out and bought a new Bosch, cordless, with a wand to do the stairs, so I'm not desperate, but I thought that maybe I'll get the Dyson fixed as a back up to the Bosch, and a Vax that I have in the garage.
I'm not looking for something for nothing, if I can get it fixed at a reasonable price somewhere in SE London, I may donate it to someone, or then again I may keep it.
Any ideas?
Sunday 7 February 2016 11.18pm
I took mine apart and installed a new motor, it took me less than an hour, but I had to watch the Youtube video a couple of times. I don't know what's wrong with yours, but a new motor can be had on Ebay for about 15. Get a new filter, and wash and dry the other filter to prevent overheating - common with older machines, especially if you have a cat.
Worth a go, mine is about 15 years old, and will probably last another 10.
Monday 8 February 2016 7.45am
graham wrote:
I took mine apart and installed a new motor, it took me less than an hour, but I had to watch the Youtube video a couple of times. I don't know what's wrong with yours, but a new motor can be had on Ebay for about 15. Get a new filter, and wash and dry the other filter to prevent overheating - common with older machines, especially if you have a cat.
Worth a go, mine is about 15 years old, and will probably last another 10.

Thanks for the suggestion graham, but I have the patience of a 2 y.o., so studying the Dyson to establish the model # in order to get the correct motor, then taking the machine to bits while watching a YouTube video would send me over the edge!
If I can get it running for around 50, I'll maybe give it to a pensioner, but thanks again for the advice.
p.s. I've given the cat 6 weeks notice to quit!
Monday 8 February 2016 1.47pm
The best Dyson I had was the DC 01....when it was made in Derbyshire, since then the two I have now, one yellow and one purple are no where as good.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: