Closure of Lambeth County Court

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 11 February 2016 6.14pm
Lambeth County Court will close this time next year. In response to the consultation, HMCTS has said that housing possession cases will be listed at Camberwell Green Magistrates' Court.

What has made me laugh though is that Southwark Council gave the impression that it would be more than willing to provide a venue for such hearings at Tooley Street, as reported on this very site ( That was their very public message and was the subject of reporting not just on this site but elsewhere. It is therefore surprising to read in the HMCTS/MoJ response:

Page 26 of consultation response wrote:
Following a meeting between
Shailesh Vara MP and Helen Hayes MP, HM Courts & Tribunals Service made contact
with the London Borough of Southwark to discuss the potential use of space within their
civic building to hold housing possession hearings. The London Borough of Southwark
have carried out a feasibility of their civic building and have confirmed that there is no
space within the civic building which could be considered

Another example of our Labour council pulling the wool over residents' eyes.
Friday 12 February 2016 12.29am
Lambeth County Court, Christ, that takes me back.
When I was doing the Knowledge, early 70s I'd guess, I was asked by an examiner at the Carriage Office, to take him, (describe a route), from Lambeth County Court to the Carlton Club.
At that time, Cleaver Street was one way from Kennington Lane to Bowden Street, so I had to say, "Leave on left Cleaver Street, r. Bowden Street, r. Milverton Street, r. Kennington Road, then call the names of all the roads/roundabouts to Westminster Bridge, around Parliament Square, l. Gt. George Street, r. Horseguards Road, l. The Mall, r. Marlborough Road, l. Pall Mall, r. St. James Street, set down on left."
Mmmm, he ruminated, what is opposite?
I mulled over Berry Brothers and Rudd, wines, but plumped correctly for John Lobb, boot and shoe makers.
"All right sonny", he said, "keep at it, we'll make a taxi driver of you yet."

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: