The Gregorian Pub Jamaica Rd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Saturday 20 February 2016 4.38pm
kevinruairi wrote:
Yeah there's constant drive by shootings, gang gun battles, and crack dealers up there, it's terrifying, really.

Tom is prone to some wild flights of fancy and exaggeration on occasion, it's certainly not the picture that he described or that you have humorously painted, but I wouldn't walk that stretch alone after dark.
Were I to walk from say, Shad Thames to the Tunnel in the evening, I'd stick to Tooley, then Jamaica personally, but even in daylight, the stretch from Marigold heading west along Bermondsey Wall East is a little edgy at times, at least as far as The Old Justice.
Saturday 20 February 2016 8.40pm
Have you ever experienced any hassle whatsoever when walking around there? I haven't.
Saturday 20 February 2016 10.38pm
It is indeed edgy and I can understand people being wary of being up there at night. Being a man, perhaps a big and strong one, you might not be susceptible to some of the problems that, say, a lone female or a young teenager might have walking through there. Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't occur.

In December 2015 there were five reported incidents to police:

Three violent crimes on Loftie Street
One theft and one violent episode on Farncombe Street

These are literally within spitting distance of The Old Justice and average at least one week.

In November, three incidents (two incidents of ASB in Butterfield Close and one violent offence in Pottery Street).

I could continue, but the interactive crime map can be found here (The interactive crime map is here (https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/E05000548/crime/)
Saturday 20 February 2016 10.44pm
I was asking if Tom or Joan had experienced any themselves.

Gavin you post a bit too much on this forum and tend to monopolise threads, or drown out discussion between others, who may not have as much free time as you to be on here incessantly.
Saturday 20 February 2016 11.21pm
Kevinruairi wrote:
Gavin you post a bit too much on this forum and tend to monopolise threads, or drown out discussion between others, who may not have as much free time as you to be on here incessantly

First thing: I wasn't actually engaging in discussion with you, Kevin. I was merely presenting some statistics which are pertinent and relevant to the point in hand. I'm guessing that you can't refute or gainsay the stats I've shared which show there is an issue.

I am fortunate that I work from home, but that is where the "free time" bit ends - I work 18-hour days, seven days a week - and in fact I only contribute to the forum when I am working, the site being up in the background.

As somebody who has lived in the area for his whole life and whose forebears have for hundreds of years, it is natural that I will have opinions about matters affecting local people. Unless the forum editor or his moderators (of which I do not believe you are one) have an issue with my contributing to the forum, I will continue to post as I see fit.
Sunday 21 February 2016 6.54am
When I'm in the pub with a group of people I don't know that well, and one of them feels the need to do most of the talking over all the others, I don't think much of that person. Maybe your working day would be shorter if you posted on the forum less.
Sunday 21 February 2016 3.14pm
Well, perhaps you shouldn't go out drinking with people you don't know that well! As it is, I think very little of you! As I've said already, I'll post as and when I wish and certainly without reference to you!
Sunday 21 February 2016 6.45pm
Kevinruairi you should really refute the evidence if you can and not attack the messenger if you cannot.
None of us should attempt o be the Censor.
Sunday 21 February 2016 9.32pm
I must admit as a female I would be looking over my shoulder walking alone at night in those places mentioned above. I am not up on all the roads mentioned, I tend to know where I am going but ask me what road I am in and I am not sure.LOL.

We did go to the Boatman Friday just gone and Mick was in there playing and it was nice, but I think he is limited on what music he can play by the pub owner which I find crazy really. Since people are in there buying drinks they should be able to hear what they want to hear. As the owner kept saying to bar staff tell them to make the music quieter a few times through the evening.

I can only assume this is due to residents around there may be but I dont know.
Monday 22 February 2016 3.25pm
kevinruairi wrote:
Have you ever experienced any hassle whatsoever when walking around there? I haven't.

Not physical hassle no, but I felt positively uncomfortable there.
I'm unsure how to describe it, but it was very reminiscent of something I experienced in New York City when in my thirties.
I had spent the day in Chelsea, Manhattan, but had arranged to meet a girl friend on 113th. and Amsterdam to have dinner with her.
I wasn't terribly au fait with the subway system, but I knew from looking at a subway map that I could take the 4 train from 14th. St. to 110th.St. or 116th.St. in upper Manhattan, and walk from there.
The train, (my fault for not checking), was an uptown express, which skipped both 110th, and 116th. and stopped at 125th., in lower Harlem.
When I emerged at street level, I was about the only white face there, and although no one bothered me, or said one word, I was being looked at as if I'd just stepped from a space ship.
I walked along Martin Luther King Blvd. to the 125th. St. station at the junction of Malcolm X Blvd., and took the 2 train a couple of stops south to 110th. St.
My dinner companion, white, but married to a black guy, was in convulsions, she said that I was too nave to be let out on my own.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network