The Gregorian Pub Jamaica Rd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Current: 7 of 7
Monday 22 February 2016 8.01pm
Debrajoan

Its interesting what you say and good information as well, I have never been to New York or on their subway system but have been to Florida, The south part we was in was fine, but were warned when we went further north side to keep eyes on bags and stuff as it was more higher crime area. but even though we got a cab back from that side to our hotel I didnt feel threatened or anything. but back then I lived in Essex and was not so far from Barking which is a high crime rate area and although not safe to go there at night, it sounds horrid to say this but when you see experience a high crime rate area which is down and out in a way and are told in USA watch out! when you go a little to the north side you are not shocked by the way it looks because I had seen it before. When we got there there was nothing going on.

But can understand how you felt in that situation as you were also alone in an area you had no idea about or where you were. I guess it could be really easy there to end up going further on a train then expected and they must run for miles out as well.

I used to hear horror stories about Brixton years ago but when I went there I felt fine. I think Barking is much worse actually. I felt more safer in fact in Florida orange country orlando more then I do when been to Barking.

But America is so much vast huge then UK. I considered one day going to Memphis but heard bad stories about it, but an american friend said its fine there like anywhere else. I think its certain areas streets. Here the next block is literally next door, I think in USA it could be like 10 miles away or more in some places. Just guessing. I had two aunts years ago lived New York but lived 800 miles apart from each other.
Monday 22 February 2016 8.06pm
Have been around shad thames yesterday, often walk that way, I have found it ok but have not walked around there at night though. We like to walk that way towards the thames, nice places that way. If I come back at night alone I generally rely on the tube its safer as live near to the station. I always felt uncomfortable on old kent road at night though, I get a bad feeling about it really. when went down that way to meet friends for a pub drink.
Monday 22 February 2016 9.27pm
Ladywriter1968 wrote:
Debrajoan

But America is so much vast huge then UK. I considered one day going to Memphis but heard bad stories about it, but an american friend said its fine there like anywhere else. I think its certain areas streets. Here the next block is literally next door, I think in USA it could be like 10 miles away or more in some places. Just guessing. I had two aunts years ago lived New York but lived 800 miles apart from each other.

Memphis is a great place, I was there 8 or 9 years ago, with the guy I was involved with then, plus my brother and sister-in-law.
We stayed in Germantown, a suburb of Memphis, to the east.
We drove from Atlanta GA.
I had insisted on flying into there, as I knew that they had pandas in Zoo Atlanta, and I am nuts about pandas.
En route my brother wanted to visit Tupelo MS., birthplace of Elvis Presley, then make a tour of Gracelands, Elvis's home in Memphis, but my guy wasn't interested in Presley, so he dropped us off at Gracelands, went and checked us in at our hotel, then came back for us.
The buzzing part of the city is around Riverside Drive and Beale Street, lots of bars with live music and happy crowds.
An elderly black guy in the street said to me, "Gimme a dollar sweet cheeks, and Ah'll sing y'all a song."
I gave him a picture of Abe Lincoln, ($5 bill), and he followed us for 20 or more minutes, belting out Isley Brothers classics.
Before we left Memphis, we drove across the Hernando de Soto bridge, which carries the I.40 from Tennessee to Arkansas, just to say we'd been to another state, which made 18 of the lower 48 for me.
Re your aunts in New York State, you may wish to check that mileage, about the farthest north you can go from NYC is Massena, just below the Canadian border, 360 miles, if you aimed for Toronto, Can., you'd drive up to Buffalo, around 370 miles from NYC.
Take care Ladywriter.
Tuesday 23 February 2016 12.55pm
Ladywriter1968 wrote:
Debrajoan
Its interesting what you say and good information as well, I have never been to New York or on their subway system but have been to Florida, The south part we was in was fine, but were warned when we went further north side to keep eyes on bags and stuff as it was more higher crime area. but even though we got a cab back from that side to our hotel I didnt feel threatened or anything.

Not sure where you mean when you say 'south part' and 'north part' of Florida.
I guess that you mean a particular city, but Miami north side according to neighbourhood statistics, is safer than 4% of U.S. cities, whereas Miami south side is safer than 5%.
Tampa north side is reckoned to be safer than the south side.
You couldn't have meant north Florida as in Tallahassee or St. Augustine, as opposed to south Florida, Naples, Key West, or Cape Coral, as if you got a taxi back at night, you'd have spent a fortune.
Music to an old taxi driver's ears!
I'm skiing a bit off piste here, back to The Old Justice.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Current: 7 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network