New kitchens or bathrooms, only if you are on the list

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Monday 15 February 2016 7.41pm
We were informed originally that we would be getting new bathrooms and kitchens if they were older then 20 years of which ours are. I have just looked on the list for this and our estate area is not even down for it and not on the list. I just begin to see this is all a farce as we even had some one come round and check our kitchen and bathroom and measure them up a year ago and said we would have this.

I just wondered anyone elses thoughts on various estates in SE16 or SE1 on all of this.
Monday 15 February 2016 8.00pm
I can beat that love, moved in when youngest was 4, had someone in after decades to decide bathroom or kitchen, after a good few years my kitchen was completed and very bright and cheerful am very pleased with it. My daughter was nearly 38 when it was completed!
Monday 15 February 2016 8.25pm
Peter John made promises about new Kitchens and Bathrooms to be offered across the borough to all council tenants as part of the 'warm, dry, safe programme':

"As well as building new homes, we’ll be fitting out every council home with new kitchens and bathrooms as part of our warm, dry, safe programme."

The estate I live in, will not be receiving these works for at least 8 years (and who is to know if by then the same administration will be in place).

Our leader made clear promises in the run-up to the elections.

If now there has been a change in policy, he should announce it with the same fanfare he originally employed.

If not, us Southwark Council tenants are being made fools of.
Tuesday 16 February 2016 1.56pm
Hi where is this list? I would be interested to have a look. Thanks
Tuesday 16 February 2016 2.33pm
mckendrick5851 wrote:
Hi where is this list? I would be interested to have a look. Thanks

You may find it here.
Tuesday 16 February 2016 4.15pm
Ladywriter1968 wrote:
I just begin to see this is all a farce as we even had some one come round and check our kitchen and bathroom and measure them up a year ago and said we would have this.
s.

I've heard this as well from people I know who live on a Peabody estate and they thought it was people commissioned to put a market value on flats. Don't know if that's true but wouldn't surprise me.
Wednesday 17 February 2016 9.04am
We are also not on the list; Nelson Square so it's doubtful ours will be done. We did have someone from Murphys (the company who did the rewiring on the estate) look at our kitchen about a year ago. Apparently if your gas cooker is in the correct position in your kitchen then you don't qualify for a new kitchen!
Wednesday 17 February 2016 10.20am
Must be lovely getting everything for free - oh wish I was a council tenant
Wednesday 17 February 2016 10.27am
chelsea190512 wrote:
Must be lovely getting everything for free - oh wish I was a council tenant

You should make yourself aware of basic landlord and tenant law before making such stupid comments.

A landlord (whoever they are, including those charging exorbitant private rents) has to maintain the property they are renting to tenants. That includes periodically installing new kitchens and bathrooms. Of course the tenant pays rent in order for the landlord to ensure the upkeep of the property.

Same principle with council tenants. It's worth noting some of these tenants are living with kitchens and bathrooms over 30 years old and this will be the first replacement in all that time. Is that really so unfair?
Wednesday 17 February 2016 10.36am
Well said Gavin. That was an unpleasant and unnecessary comment.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: