Isabella Street noise - any update?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 17 February 2016 9.00pm
Sorry if its already been posted elsewhere

is there any update after the hearing ?
Thursday 18 February 2016 9.35am
Yes, although we are still in the appeal period. We continue to write to the Environment team at LBS because some of the new conditions are not being met and this will help if any one of them appeals. I don't think Jacks will as they were the most affable. EV was outraged and was not aware there was a problem and didn't seem to believe the evidence. Thai Silk just played dumb. This is a summary I wrote for our Newsletter, but it only highlights the bits I thought residents would want to read:

After years of complaining about the noise from the bars and restaurants along Isabella Street, the council did some regular visits to the street and recorded their findings. They also visited a resident to record noise levels. Finally, the council agreed that the bars were causing a nuisance and did a review of their licenses. The meeting was long and tedious but we were allowed to speak and show our video footage of the crowds outside the bars, and as a result additional conditions were added to the bars’ License Agreement. Here are some of the key changes:

• That during any regulated entertainment on the premises, permitted under the
Licensing Act 2003, all doors, concertina doors and windows shall remain closed (except for access or egress).

• That any background music played (for when concertina doors are open) shall remain at a volume that permits normal conversation and that the volume control of any music is behind the bar/counter and is in the full control of staff at all times.

• That two SIA officer be employed jointly with the adjacent licensed premises at
Railway Arch 96 and Railway Arch 94-95 Joan Street SE1 from Maundy Thursday
(being the Thursday before Easter) to the end of October, and from 1 December to the first Saturday in January, on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, to monitor and control the behaviour and dispersal of patrons leaving the premises between 22:00- 00:30 on Thursdays, and 20:00 – 01:00 on Friday and Saturday nights, as well as from 20:00 to 30 minutes after closing on New Year’s Eve.

• That the use of the external frontage area, except for smoking, shall cease at 22:00 which point all patrons will be instructed to move indoors.

• That at 22:00, if not already done so, the external terrace canopy shall be deployed to cover the designated smoking area.

• That there shall be no drinks permitted to be taken outside after 22:00. That clearly legible signage will be prominently displayed at all patron exits, where it can easily be seen and read, requesting to the effect that patrons do not take drinks outside after 22:00.

• That there shall be no drinks permitted to be taken beyond the boundary of external frontage area at any time.

• That after 22:00, customers permitted to temporarily leave and then re-enter the premises to smoke must be restricted to the external frontage area. No more than 10 customers will be permitted to remain in this designated smoking area at any one time.

• That when regulated entertainment is being provided the premises management shall carry out regular checks to monitor the sound level at the closest noise sensitive location(s) to the premises and shall ensure that the sound level of the entertainment does not cause a public nuisance in the vicinity of the premises at the/those location(s). A written record of sound level checks shall be kept and shall contain details of: the time, date and location of each check, the person who undertook the check and any actions taken as a result of the check. Each check shall be signed in the record by the person who made the check. The monitoring record shall be kept at the premises and made available to officers of the police or council on request.
Thursday 18 February 2016 5.54pm
One can only assume that they're all keen to obey orders. I do hope that your hard work in this will bring some peace and normality into your bedtime.
Sunday 8 May 2016 10.30pm
Hi everyone.

I am a bit worried because we are about to move there, at the Isabelle street side of the building.
Is that still an issue? I see that there is no activity in the forum since Feb.

Thanks in advance if anyone is still following this thread
Monday 9 May 2016 11.44am
EV has appealed against the new conditions. The meeting is this month some time. Noise is getting better and a resident has been given the mobile phone number for the manager at Thai Silk so there is direct contact if the noise is too loud. This works, however, residents should not be acting as 'noise police'; clearly the new rules state that noise should not escape from the premises. Iva, the weather has not been suitable for outside drinking so far this year - apart from this weekend - so let's see what it is like on a Friday night when the weather improves. Because EV is appealing against the rules, they do not have to 'obey' them yet and so they are not being too particular in making sure drinkers don't go beyond their boundary.
Monday 9 May 2016 12.21pm
Thank you a lot about the reply! How about last friday? The weather was nice so I guess there were quite a lot of people in the bars. _Our flat will be the one right next to the Isabella street :( We still have some time to reconsider the decision until tomorrow so I am not really sure what to do
Monday 9 May 2016 6.53pm
I'm sorry to report that it was very noisy outside Ev on Friday around 11.30- midnight. Possibly just late leavers not keen to return home.
Monday 9 May 2016 7.17pm
I don't mean to be negative. A lot of folks on this forum only post when they have something to complain about or have an issue. I have visited this area many times and have not found the noise to be louder than comparable central London areas. I also live in a busy area and born in London. Love the vibrance and the fact that these businesses have invested in our areas, to make them what they are today. Confrontation and council orders will not resolve this issue. Everyone has the right to operate and live in this area. I think compromise is the key word. I would hate for these businesses to up stick and go to a more welcoming area of London. We are central London after all and not some village community. SE1 has strived to attract decent restaurants and bars. Do we really want to drive them away?
Monday 9 May 2016 7.20pm
BTW IVA if you are concerned about the noise don't move to this location. If you know that it's a noisy area! What the point of moving there and then complaining ?
Monday 9 May 2016 7.47pm
drog, thanks for the advice :) I somehow imagined the bar owner speaking when I read your messages hehe :)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: