Westminster Bridge Road Cycle Superhighway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 18 February 2016 11.56am
I live on Westminster Bridge Road and am depressed at the state of the traffic since the new cycle superhighways and traffic lights have been put in place. What used to be a pretty free moving road has become an 18 hour a day parking lot. If they introduce cycle lanes on WBR as well it would be madness. The reason for encouraging people to use bikes is in part to reduce pollution. Looking at my street from my window this is not working.....
Thursday 18 February 2016 8.23pm
Indeed. And I do not recall this item ever to have been a party manifesto item
Monday 22 February 2016 11.44am
I totally agree with you Robin. The problem of congestion & pollution in WBR has been greatly increased since bike routes were installed in the area. How much worse will it get with additional bike lanes? The pollution levels for London were already far higher than EU recommended levels. Judging from the number of idling engines you now see in traffic holdups, my guess is that it has already increased. We musn't ignore the fact that not only do people live in these streets but those who work & children in schools are also affected by deteriorating air quality.
Monday 22 February 2016 12.46pm
This is progress for London and reducing pollution by making it safer for people to cycle. Unsure why people always moan when change made and don't see the positives.
The problem is clearly not the cycle lanes but the traffic. The point is that more people should cycle, walk or bus but they choose to use their cars instead. People should be actively discouraged from driving in Central London and the congestion charge should be much higher.
Monday 22 February 2016 1.01pm
i choose to use my car weekends in the zone-choose is the wrong word-i have elderly parents and in laws who i have to visit/shop for etc plus kids to transport an could not rely on buses as would not have time to fit everything in-having said that the changes for the cycle highway is making journies much longer and much more stressful even at weekends.

my husband is an engineer who needs a car/van for tools etc-what about all the plumbers electricians home helps etc who have to use their car-do you honestly think that most people drive in the congestion charge through choice? what about deliveries and food-do you think that those of us who live in the charging area ahould have to pay loads more because we live there mostly not through choice?
Monday 22 February 2016 4.49pm
Pollution is increasing because of the bicycle lanes.
Restricting the amount of space for motor vehicle traffic is causing more congestion, slower moving traffic, at times not moving at all, all with engines running and most spewing out noxious nitro oxides from their diesel engines. These are not private motorists but commercial vehicles going about their lawful and necessary business for us.
The Cut is typical in that there is now an almost solid trail of traffic all day long with the increased pollution as a result. Not only does it affect we who suffer with lung problems, I dread to imagine the effect it is having on children in pushchairs, but makes it difficult to cross the road safely especially if you are elderly
And Blackfriars Road is a nightmare.
Meanwhile TfL overlook this from their ivory tower and , seem, by their silence on the matter appear not to notice the problems they have created or do notice and choose to ignore them.
I would suggest the first thing they do is create a yellow box junction at Union Street/Blackfriars Road/The Cut. It is now common to see taxis turning left into B R from The Cut from the outside lane which should be used for straight ahead or right turns only. In the meantime Hatfields and Short Street have become rat-run as will most other residential side streets in the area.
And all this for approximately four hours of rush-hour cycle use.
I am not a fan and hope that WBR does not suffer too.
Monday 22 February 2016 7.20pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
Pollution is increasing because of the bicycle lanes.
Is there data on this? If so, please share, I'm genuinely interested.

Thebunhouse wrote:
Restricting the amount of space for motor vehicle traffic is causing more congestion, slower moving traffic, at times not moving at all, all with engines running...
In a way it's a side issue but if they are not moving at all then they shouldn't have their engines running - it's against the law. (If only there were some way to enforce it... aha, I know... all motor vehicles should be made to register and show a unique identifier front and rear... oh, wait...)

Thebunhouse wrote:
These are not private motorists but commercial vehicles going about their lawful and necessary business for us.
Well, you say so, however these are the DoT official stats for Southwark's major roads, 2014 in thousands of vehicle miles:

Cars and Taxis: 148,282
Buses & Coaches: 13,548
Light Goods Vehicles: 34,422
All HGVs: 8,104

Now I grant you that taxi users are not private motorists per se, however they are people making private journeys by motor vehicle. And it's possible that some proportion of the cars are commercial vehicles in some sense of that term. But overall, I can't see how your proposition squares with the facts as I have been able to discover them. If you have better information, by all means let's have it.
Monday 22 February 2016 10.04pm
I have desperately tried to stay out of this bunfight, but when I responded to the consultations I said I thought it was good in every way for cyclists but I feared for the environment. It was clear that central London would be turned into a car park with buses, taxis, vans and other motorists who need to be there to do their jobs locked in traffic jams.( PS I walk to work,) And so it has turned out thus far. So let us wait until all the works are over and revisit. My fear is that overall it will be a negative.
Tuesday 23 February 2016 2.01am
I am dismayed by the level of antagonism shown in some posts here and other conversations.

Many people are confusing the effects of the changes to the Elephant Roundabout and the cycle superhighway. The roundabout change (and it is still being built, no?) has been savaged by almost everyone as a bad bodge between a) "smoothing the traffic" (remember that? That meant taking out pedestrian crossings; where were your moans then?) and b) trying to improve conditions for all other users of the area.

The superhighways, on the other hand, are segregating cyclists from cars, making them safe and also serendipitously addressing the other constant moans seen from some here about those dratted bikes getting in the way of buses and cars.

My question is - why is it that people who talk about:
- "commercial vehicles going about their lawful and necessary business for us"
- "buses, taxis, vans and other motorists who need to be there"
think that people on bicycles are not going about their equally lawful and necessary business, but have been constrained from doing so by the appalling conditions they are subject to? And that this somehow doesn't matter?

Is that somehow because being on a bike is considered by these people as somehow frivolous by definition? A person on a bike could just as well be a "captain of industry" as could a van driver - and a van driver driving a single amazon parcel of no importance whatever to anyone but the recipient is clearly not "necessary business" and can contribute to major traffic jams when loads of other vans are doing the same. And actually nobody knows what anyone else is doing (how, pray, do people who claim this know from looking?), so this is all totally unfounded. And don't get me started on taxis - clearly many are full with important people on important business, and equally many are empty and circulating, contributing to traffic for no economic gain whatsoever.

And if you do in fact accept that people on bikes are as likely to be doing "useful business" as people in buses, cars, taxis and commercial vehicles then frankly it staggers me that the level of danger and collisions we have seen over the last few years affecting people on bikes and those walking could be seen by anyone as acceptable in a civilised society. Not to mention the horrendous pollution caused by combustion engines, which with twisted logic is now being argued by some as being the fault of people who use non-motorised means of travel...

The fact that over the last 40 years there has been no provision whatever to make cycling safer, and that now baby steps are being taken now to address this, seems to be provoking unthinking and unfocused opposition on this and other forums; if people actually thought about the issue for a while, and actually reviewed the impact their own travel choices have on others ("could not rely on buses as would not have time to fit everything in" - yes, if you are in a car or van, you are "traffic" and causing pollution and at times congestion), and then tried to make small changes over time to reduce their impacts on others, then we would all be in a happier place.
Tuesday 23 February 2016 10.34am
Thebunhouse wrote:
I would suggest the first thing they do is create a yellow box junction at Union Street/Blackfriars Road/The Cut.

Good idea - paint some more lines on the road for motorists to ignore, like they do with every other yellow box junction in London.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: