Ban bikes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 18 February 2016 8.15pm
This superhighway is causing untold misery. I was on a bus from Southwark tube to blackfriars bridge but the bus gaily sped past 3 bus stops before stopping past ludgate circus. So I ended up retracing my steps over blackfriars bridge as there were no buses in sight other side of road and a, very windy rainy evening also
Apparently the driver had not been informed of these short notice closures hence no tannoy announcements were issued ie the next bus stop is closed etc

When will we return to a Form of sanity
Thursday 18 February 2016 8.54pm
Both myself and my mum are pedestrians - mum has mobility problems but uses her trolley to go to Walworth Road. Now when she gets the return bus and alights by Peabody in Blackfriars Road she has to get herself and trolley off the bus onto a wonky, sloping 'platform'. She then has to get the trolley down the deep kerb by the Peabody's access entrance and then up again the other side. This isn't easy when you have problems lifting your leg. Then it's more steeply sloping platform until it comes to an end by the lights at the junction of Webber Street - no island for pedestrians- where she has to wait in a vulnerable spot until the lights change. It's bad enough for her so how do wheelchair users get on?
So far I've seen about twenty cyclists at most in the cycle lane - and quite a few cycling in their old position alongside the buses going towards London Road.
I don't think this scheme makes sense to anyone - I know we both feel very restricted about where we can walk/take the bus now. And I'm terrified of crossing at the Webber/Blackfriars Road junction at night, it's soooo dark!
Thursday 18 February 2016 10.43pm
That must be a nightmare for your mum Debra , to me slope especially a down one would have me falling flat on my face in two minutes flat.

Yesterday I posted a bit about my daughter wheeling me across new Kent rd. barely six seconds to cross, the phasing is the traffics favour. But standing on that slope holding on like grim death on an incline is no fun, especially when the brain recognises the fact it's safe to cross when green man shows a glimpse...its eaten into your six seconds!
Friday 19 February 2016 10.06am
Paramount wrote:
This superhighway is causing untold misery. I was on a bus from Southwark tube to blackfriars bridge but the bus gaily sped past 3 bus stops before stopping past ludgate circus. So I ended up retracing my steps over blackfriars bridge as there were no buses in sight other side of road and a, very windy rainy evening also
Apparently the driver had not been informed of these short notice closures hence no tannoy announcements were issued ie the next bus stop is closed etc

When will we return to a Form of sanity

Yes of course - this is all the fault of cyclists.

Of course, forget the fact that long term, encouraging more people onto bikes will reduce congestion.
Friday 19 February 2016 11.10am
Well bikes started it. And pedestrians were here before bikes '
Friday 19 February 2016 11.16am
And. Let's face facts. Some of us may not be around to witness these wonderful advantages of healthy ie being knocked over by crazy cyclists
Friday 19 February 2016 11.46am
Paramount wrote:
Well bikes started it. And pedestrians were here before bikes '

And bikes were here before cars and buses.
Friday 19 February 2016 3.24pm
Yes. Comfortable 3 wheeler types etc. Not the boy.n girl racers one encounters in today's savage cutthroat society. But then I can just recall a time when everything was gentler kinder and real respect and caring generally abounded

My parents road bikes. Where they truly do belong... In the country. A gentlemen or ladies pastime. Not carving pedestrians up on the pavement etc

And buses cars generally do not,attempt to use pavements roundabouts over crossings..

Bikes should be registered yellow jackets. Bike registration details on front back name hefty immediate fine or prosecuted if they misbehave
Friday 19 February 2016 3.51pm
Paramount wrote:
Yes. Comfortable 3 wheeler types etc. Not the boy.n girl racers one encounters in today's savage cutthroat society. But then I can just recall a time when everything was gentler kinder and real respect and caring generally abounded
My parents road bikes. Where they truly do belong... In the country. A gentlemen or ladies pastime. Not carving pedestrians up on the pavement etc

And buses cars generally do not,attempt to use pavements roundabouts over crossings..

Bikes should be registered yellow jackets. Bike registration details on front back name hefty immediate fine or prosecuted if they misbehave

So much nonsense here, it's hard to know where to start. I'll just point out that in London (1998-2007), just 2% of pedestrian collision injuries on the pavement involved cycles; the other 98% involved motor vehicles. So the proposition that the pedestrian on the pavement is at risk from bikes but safe from motor vehicles could hardly be more wrong.
Friday 19 February 2016 4.16pm
I think it is one of those things that seem a bigger problem than it is. It is irritating to see cyclists on the pavement, simply because they shouldn't be there and something might happen. I have seen a fair few collisions, but never a cyclist-pedestrian one. I wonder how safe the bus stops around the new Elephant & Castle will be, they seem designed for a maximum chance of cyclist-bus passenger collisions. Pavement, cycle lane, Bus stop, road.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: