Follow on from bathrooms and kitchens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 22 February 2016 2.17pm
So who remembers when the council used to come round and decorate your homes - all you did was pick what colour paint and wallpaper you wanted and they did the rest - all free of charge - dont care what anyone says, those were magical times

These were back in the days when i lived on Lansdowne greene estate in SW8 - doubt if anyone knows it - not as well as i know SE1 - Nelson Square - seen a few buildings pulled down around there, remember the old pub before if become Inbibe and now a block of flats and the council offices off library street
Monday 22 February 2016 2.55pm
I know Southwark does this for some elderly residents, or at least our TMO does, but it's been done away with otherwise. Entirely appropriate and exactly what we should be doing for the elderly and infirm, though if the standard of work is anything like some of the horror stories of others then perhaps it's not worth having done.

My personal view is that if you're capable of decorating (even if you can't actually do a very good job) then you should be responsible for it yourself. Like others, I've spent a small fortune on two council properties now - our last property was returned to the council in a far better condition than it was given to us - but that's what you do to make a house your home.
Monday 22 February 2016 8.12pm
My elderly neighbour did ask for this but the council refused. I think its hard on the elderly to be honest.

Oh have seen some new flats being built that are already fully decorated inside, but these are privates and god only knows what they are charging a week to live in one.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: