Borough Market produce labelling

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 24 February 2016 6.31pm
So according to HMI we are supposed to know where our fruit,nuts,veg.comes from? I suppose at the borough market the clients don't know coconuts don't grow I Kent ! Our traders need help not being fined large sums for rules and regs.not followed. Seems over the top to me.
Thursday 25 February 2016 7.28am
It sounds HMI gave him plenty of opportunity to comply with the regulations but for whatever reason he chose not to.
Thursday 25 February 2016 2.22pm
I'm not sure how we coped before they told what we needed to know
Thursday 25 February 2016 2.43pm
I understand the need for identifying the source perishable items or meats but still wonder if they have to identify the source of fruit and veg. down the lane! seeing as I can't get out much now days..
Thursday 25 February 2016 4.41pm
Lots of people boycott fruits when they come from particular countries. Like strawberries from Spain for example....Reputed to have a poor taste. You may also want to avoid fruits/vegs being shipped by air for environmental reasons.
Also, you may prefer some species over others. Like when you buy apples, you like your coxes or galas, the same for other fruits but it can be harder to tell the species with other fruits.
Thursday 25 February 2016 5.58pm
When I first moved to SE1 about 5 years ago, I thought to myself I'm going to live the dream
and go to borough market to buy a chicken and some veg to cook that night.
The chicken was just under 20 quid and the label of the string of garlic said 'Grown in China'!!!
Never again…thats the lat time i live that dream…Bermondsey Sq on Saturday morning gets my thumbs up!
Thursday 25 February 2016 9.53pm
I know that it is not a traditional concern here in the UK, but increasingly people want to know what they are eating, and were it comes from.

The law is here to protect the consumer, whether they appreciate the protection or not.

Coconuts have been mentioned in the opening post. Ok, we can all probably agree that they weren't grown in Kent, but are they from the Pacific Islands, the Caribbean or South East Asia? Are we so unsophisticated that we can't tell the difference from one coconut to another?

If we were to apply the same principle to tomatoes, how would I be able to find the proper Italian San Marzano's needed to make a decent plate of pasta?

Same goes for fruit: if I want to buy premium blood red oranges from Sicily, I don't want to be served a Libyan knock-off...

Borough Market charges a lot for the products it sells, and this is due to an expectation of quality and authenticity: I imagine most other traders there agree with this prosecution.
Thursday 25 February 2016 10.28pm
Jules can I come to dinner at your house? I like the sound of a proper pasta! Oddly enough though I used to love Blood Oranges and Ugli fruit. And English strawberries and cherries ,and coxs apples are the best in the world.
Friday 26 February 2016 1.29am
Can see and sympathise with both sides of the equation here. Hardly crime of the century, but Jules hits the nail on the head when saying: "The law is here to protect the consumer, whether they appreciate the protection or not". I agree.
Friday 26 February 2016 7.26am
I just wish I was clever enough to distinguish between one country's coconuts. I only had the song to guide me. About a luvverly bunch of 'em. Seriously though I genuinely never knew the difference between them, I will now go and google images.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: