Road accidents

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Thursday 25 February 2016 2.50pm
There used to a sign board outside Walworth Town hall that had a breakdown of fatalities and injuries, monthly stats I think, most of the deaths it seemed to me were adults? Just wondered why the Mayor had the figures and Southwark did not. We used to have a wonderful Road Safety Dept.within Southwark, based in Walworth town hall. they had classes for bike riders and also a scheme for young motorcyclist to learn road safety. Wonder if that department and all it's deeds still exist?
Zoe
Thursday 25 February 2016 7.39pm
Sadly it's unlikely the team still exists, given that Southwaek has lost 50% of it's funding and still needs to save more.

I wasn't surprised by the junctions, but it's still notable that BHS, which is terrible for pedestrians, is a TfL route, as they really seem to prioritise traffic flow above all other things. It's also a very constrained area, which will clearly limit what can be done, but it's about time we got a crossing by Borough Tube station, it's quite disgraceful that it's still not there.

I would like to see some political leadership on this from Southwark.
Thursday 25 February 2016 9.01pm
Your right Zoe, and number 4 at the junction of borough high street great Dover St.is lethal. As traffic turns left phasing of lights is so out of kilter it has to stop when lights change just as they turn. Pedestrians are still on the crossing.surprised there's not more casualties and pleased of course.
Zoe
Thursday 25 February 2016 9.38pm
I know exactly which one you mean and I have nearly hit people on that crossing.
Thursday 25 February 2016 10.05pm
I'm surprised too that there aren't many more accidents along Blackfriars Road now we have the cycle highway. I believe there was an accident in Burrell Street earlier this week? As for Borough High Street, I try to avoid it because of the lack of crossings.
Zoe
Friday 26 February 2016 7.48am
Why on earth would the cycle super highway cause more accidents. The problem is poor junctions, with lots of cars and pedestrians mixing closely. Blackfriars Road doesn't actually have that many cars, has lots of places to slow them down ie traffic lights and it's fairly easy to cross. The big danger is the junction of The Cut and Union Street, which has been significantly improved with the right turning light.
Friday 26 February 2016 9.36am
A friend of mine who cycles to work every day told me that he saw the remnants of an accident between a tipper truck - yes one of them again- and a cyclist at St. Georges Circus at the beginning of this week. He said the bike was really mangled but there was no sign of the cyclist only the bike and the tipper truck. He saw it on his way to work between 8-8.30 either on Monday or Tuesday.
I hope the cyclist was not seriously injured.
I have trawled the net and can find no reference to this incident at all. Has anybody else heard of this incident ?
Friday 26 February 2016 9.41am
I think Sookysoo means that there will be more accidents on Blackfriars Road since the highway has been constructed and not BECAUSE of it ie nothing particularly to do with cyclists; although I may be wrong. The road is so busy now and so confusing for pedestrians. Even when lights are red you still have to keep looking both ways and there is effectively two roads to cross.
Friday 26 February 2016 10.15am
Karen I wrote:
I think Sookysoo means that there will be more accidents on Blackfriars Road since the highway has been constructed and not BECAUSE of it ie nothing particularly to do with cyclists; although I may be wrong. The road is so busy now and so confusing for pedestrians. Even when lights are red you still have to keep looking both ways and there is effectively two roads to cross.

That's how I read it too. In any case, I live at Blackfriars road and I agree it is now really confusing
Friday 26 February 2016 12.17pm
Hope it's ok to post external links,

here's an article on the St Georges Circus cyclist,

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cyclist-escapes-serious-injury-after-being-hit-by-a-lorry-at-st-george-s-circus-a3186741.html

this might also be of interest,

http://collisionmap.london/
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: