Bulky rubbish collection

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 29 February 2016 8.48am
Why is council charging 16 quid for bulk type collections in Southwark!?
Monday 29 February 2016 8.55am
Seems that the charge is new since the start of the year. It used to be free. We can expect to see a rise in fly-tipping as a result.
Monday 29 February 2016 8.59am
I think we are already seeing a massive rise in fly-tipping. By Peverel House there were a couple of fridge-freezers, a dumped double bed and a pile of rubbish. That was a few weeks back. The cost to the council is surely more than it would have been were it to remain "free". That said, the fly-tippers have been consistent (and considerate) and have all added more or less to the same pile and the particular spot I'm referring to now seems to be just a dump for bulk waste.
Zoe
Monday 29 February 2016 9.22am
We have always had fly tipping on our estate, even when it was free. Housing will clear it when it's on a housing estate.

I am always confused by the argument it will cost more to clear fly tipping. It's the same guys who clear bulk waste so it really shouldn't cost more to take it away (not contaminated waste obviously).
Monday 29 February 2016 10.32am
Zoe wrote:
I am always confused by the argument it will cost more to clear fly tipping. It's the same guys who clear bulk waste so it really shouldn't cost more to take it away (not contaminated waste obviously).

I could be wrong, but I assume it costs more because whereas with free collections it is all coordinated to make maximum use of the time and vehicle (route planning, fuel, space, etc), with fly-tipping it is all ad hoc and all over the place, and so the same vehicle/crew will be going back and forth potentially to the same places.

Is it really free to all estates to have the collection though, Zoe? My (perhaps erroneous) understanding from a recent TMO board meeting was that where culprits cannot be identified then the TMO bears the cost of removing the waste. I could be wrong on that score though and would be grateful for clarification.
Monday 29 February 2016 11.53am
Clearing rubbish from estates is certainly not free. It appeared on my service charge statement recently. I was not impressed!
Monday 29 February 2016 1.05pm
They've been charging since November. And expect aggro when trying to use their new website, which has a list of items from which you MUST pick the item you need collecting.

Unless of course, it's one of the many items that aren't listed. Like radiators, for example. Then you can expect a long, arduous email exchange where you get a different answer every time, as to whether they do or don't collect that particular item; and what you should select in the website as a replacement.
Zoe
Monday 29 February 2016 3.00pm
Sorry, wasn't suggesting it was free on estates, just that it's dealt with by Housing when there is fly tipping and it's normally treated as residents not disposing of their rubbish properly rather than as actual fly tipping (which is probably about right). In relation to the TMO, we have the same issue and it's because the funding for cleaning goes to the TMO rather than the housing department and covers poor disposal of waste as well the usual cleaning.
Monday 29 February 2016 8.44pm
Perhaps council could differentate between higher income properties and adjust accordingly and adjust accordingly which should appeal to those of altruistic tendencies
Tuesday 1 March 2016 8.47am
I called yesterday late afternoon to report fly tipping on my street. This morning it's gone!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: