Dental Fear treatment now has advanced in technology

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 4 March 2016 8.06pm
Years ago in Barking when I had my first wisdom out, it was agony, I was in that dentist chair hour and half while he yanked and pulled and it broke into 16 pieces and when I arrived back at waiting room I passed out. A month later of agonising pain which after that put me off dentists and treatments. Even when I had a couple of root canal treatments in Barking Dentist that was also very painful, this is back in the early 1990's. So later on when I had the other wisdoms out I was sedated at a clinic and last one at the hospital.

So being told recently by a hospital that I needed root canal treatment and that they dont sedate you no more at dentists due to regulations and wont sedate at hospital to do RCT treatments, and that I should return to the dentist to have this done. I was bricking it badly. I even took an anxiety pill to calm down before the treatment.

I had the root canal treatment today and it didnt hurt at all, just had to lay there for about 45 minutes, I go back for The Crown in a week. Yet the anxiety pill that I tool before the treatment started to make me feel tired later after treatment.

I can only assume that technology has advanced so much since the early 1990's that the pain which was then is no longer around. And the fact that back then I just went to a horrible Barking Dentist.

I had it done at a local Bermondsey dentist. He is much more caring and gives all the information of treatment of which years ago I never received any of this.

The other thoughts about this as well is that I think the NHS charge to much for these treatments, while I understand that private treatments is much higher but even paying over 200 for RCT treatment/crown is a lot of money for patients to find at times.

Any thoughts about treatments?
Any stories to tell?
Any thoughts about NHS dental charges?

Thanks...
Friday 4 March 2016 8.52pm
You do post the weirdest topics but I mean that in a good way :o)

Regarding root canals, you maybe aware that they have a limited lifespan as do crowns, a tooth that has been done is likely to get reinfected and if twice then you may as well pull it. With implants now at the 1K mark going through two root canals or even one for 400 + seems pointless.

There are also endontologists who use further specific equipment for root canals to ensure that all roots are cleaned, prepped, filled which is one of the many reason why it can get reinfected as dentists may not go all the way down one canal for example. However they cost around 800 + so this further boosts the implant option.

The thing is I cannot be bothered anymore to go through the pain of an abcess and all the related faffing around for a dentist, penicillin, RCT, then crown, then checks anymore so I had mine pulled and an implant stuck in.
Friday 4 March 2016 8.57pm
Ladywriter,

Which Bermondsey dentist do you use? I have to go and I'm rather terrified, not only about the lack of sedation but also the deep hole it will leave in my piggy bank so need a recommendation please!
Saturday 5 March 2016 9.27am
Me as well Debra , my old dentist retired a few years back, the replacement is not interested in NHS patients really. Because if medical condition I have I have been to guys , had sedation but obviously work is done by trainees, tooth has split in two and don't know what to do!
Saturday 5 March 2016 10.39am
Glue Jan? I might try plasticine for my cavity :-))
Thursday 10 March 2016 7.00pm
DebraG wrote:
Ladywriter,
Which Bermondsey dentist do you use? I have to go and I'm rather terrified, not only about the lack of sedation but also the deep hole it will leave in my piggy bank so need a recommendation please!

Hi Debra

Wasnt sure which button to press, quote and reply or reply only, I did right one to reply to you.

The dentist is called MP Dental Practise in Jamaica Road Bermondsey SE16.. Less then a minute walk from Bermondsey underground station going towards Rotherhithe direction. They are next door to the chemist. And they also have NHS costs as well as private treatment. They are very good, I was very nervous when I had RCT treatment but it didnt hurt, just waiting for my crown now which due next week.
Thursday 10 March 2016 7.07pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Me as well Debra , my old dentist retired a few years back, the replacement is not interested in NHS patients really. Because if medical condition I have I have been to guys , had sedation but obviously work is done by trainees, tooth has split in two and don't know what to do!

Hi Jan

I should have used quote and reply button on others to instead of just reply, LOL.

The dentist I mentioned is good but you live further away and I dont know any around where you are. I think that Guys hospital now only do certain treatments, if they cant pull it out then they just refer you back to dentist again. A few years back when I had a wisdom pulled, and you know what, I cant remember now whether was at guys or Thomys either. Think was Guys. I remember before doing down for treatment a lady came into the toilet when I was there and she seemed angry. She told me how Guys put in a temporary filling only and it had already fallen out within 5 minutes and they advised her to see own dentist, the lady told me she had gone to Guys because she could not afford to see a dentist.

Yet my Brother in law just told me that his crown has lasted 30 years from Guys, But I think treatment at hospitals is very limited now. If you go on emergency you will sit for hours in the waiting room and my dentist originally refer me as for nearalgia as well where they diagnosed this with a head scan. If you have referal from a dentist you dont wait so long, I was there around 2.5 hours but was seen pretty quickly in another department.

Although private treatment can range up to thousands, even NHS treatment I find a bit expensive, for one treatment for crown its over 200.
Thursday 10 March 2016 7.11pm
jinkazama wrote:
You do post the weirdest topics but I mean that in a good way :o)
Regarding root canals, you maybe aware that they have a limited lifespan as do crowns, a tooth that has been done is likely to get reinfected and if twice then you may as well pull it. With implants now at the 1K mark going through two root canals or even one for 400 + seems pointless.

There are also endontologists who use further specific equipment for root canals to ensure that all roots are cleaned, prepped, filled which is one of the many reason why it can get reinfected as dentists may not go all the way down one canal for example. However they cost around 800 + so this further boosts the implant option.

The thing is I cannot be bothered anymore to go through the pain of an abcess and all the related faffing around for a dentist, penicillin, RCT, then crown, then checks anymore so I had mine pulled and an implant stuck in.

Hi

What you say very interesting about treatments. You have a lot of knowledge. My brother in law had a crown for 30 years, I had a couple done mid 1990's and this dentist said they are very good, I know what you mean about crowns etc, but its either that or having them yanked and end up gummy. I am allergic to penicillin.
Thursday 10 March 2016 7.13pm
Hi Everyone,

If you tap into the internet, NHS dental charges it should come up. It will give you all the breakdown of costs.
Thursday 10 March 2016 7.18pm
Jan the old one wrote:

Hi Jan

If you go to dentist I am guessing they will crown it but will ask what you want to do with it.. but its over 200 for a crown. to have it pulled out I think its around 50. on the NHS side.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: