Edward VIII pillar boxes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 8 March 2016 3.34pm
Can anyone help me with a bit of detective work. Research from an old 2006 edition of InSE1 shows that there are apparently two Edward viii pillar-boxes in the Southwark area of SE1. Could the local residents confirm for me where –if they still exist – these very rare post boxes are situated. I would be grateful for any help to assist my Mother-in-law who is an historical archivist in postal history.
Tuesday 8 March 2016 3.41pm
We had a lengthy discussion about this on the forum 11 years ago and the consensus seems to be that there's only one in the borough of Southwark, in Nunhead Lane SE15:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/29187/page=4

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 8 March 2016 3.55pm
James, thanks for the very swift response. She has recorded that one (shown as in SE15) and has also photographed the one in Peckham SE19. The newsletter was quite specific about SE1 and even more specific about Southwark but I/she suspected that the two that the newsletter referred to were the ones referred to above. It is important to her to be accurate because she has built a photographic record of all of the publicly used Edward vii postal boxes in the country except the 26 listed in Scotland which we are setting up to achieve this year. Hence the need to chase up any leads that might mean that two have "slipped through the net" Cheers again
Wednesday 9 March 2016 8.40am
I can not help your search but would add that you give two different sovereigns in your postings:

Edward VIII in the first and Edward VII in the second.

Best wishes in your search and I do hope that we get to hear/read more of the project.
Friday 11 March 2016 11.46pm
thevarn wrote:
James, thanks for the very swift response. She has recorded that one (shown as in SE15) and has also photographed the one in Peckham SE19. The newsletter was quite specific about SE1 and even more specific about Southwark but I/she suspected that the two that the newsletter referred to were the ones referred to above. It is important to her to be accurate because she has built a photographic record of all of the publicly used Edward vii postal boxes in the country except the 26 listed in Scotland which we are setting up to achieve this year. Hence the need to chase up any leads that might mean that two have "slipped through the net" Cheers again

SE15 is definitely Peckham, but SE19 I always thought was Penge, or Anerley, Google says that it is Norwood, but I suspect SE19 was a typo.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: