Secondary Glazing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 9 March 2016 3.30pm
Can anyone assist?

I am considering getting some secondary glazing to insulate from the ever increasing traffic noise.
Can anyone recommend a honest/reliable and reasonably priced company who cover SE1
Does anyone know how effective secondary glazing will be in keeping out the noise. And will it help with my current condensation problem?
Many thanks.
Zoe
Wednesday 9 March 2016 7.42pm
I had secondary glazing and really hated it. It might have improved since we had it fitted, so obviously read reviews etc, but I couldn't open my windows and it didn't help with condensation. However, the person on the ground floor of our block had it fitted a few years ago and it did seem to help with the noise, so that's one positive.
Thursday 10 March 2016 11.32am
Thanks for this Zoe. Reading reviews, you get mixed messages. I certainly need something to keep out the traffic noise. I would have gone for the cheaper option of magnetic strip but the window is far too large.
It was all fine when I moved in 20yrs ago but the noise has increased dramatically.
Friday 11 March 2016 5.54pm
we had secondary glazing windows installed . as you mention , the noise became unbearable with the heavy traffic ,trains and drunks .it's not cheap but it's money well spend.now we can sleep in peace.
we used http://www.duration.co.uk/ .took about 6 weeks for delivery.the only downside is you have to install it yourself.
Friday 11 March 2016 10.13pm
Afraid I can't help with recommending glaziers but i've had secondary glazing at two flats and found it effective for noise and warmth. It does have to be fitted well though - I'm talking about the sliding sort. For the windows i've had they didn't restrict opening either.

My old flat backed onto the railway and the secondary glazing made a big difference. Of course it didn't help on boiling summer nights when you need the windows open... you can't have it all eh
Friday 18 March 2016 10.21am
Many thanks
Friday 3 June 2016 11.06am
You need triple or max glazing. SE1 Very bad generally speaking for noise

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: