Noise from Elliotts Row Pocket Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 10 March 2016 12.08pm
Did anybody else hear the "party" in the Elliotts Row Pocket Park last night? I've only lived near it for the last 6 months, is this normal when the weather get better?
Thursday 10 March 2016 3.41pm
I live across the park and never had an issue with it. It was actually sort of dead and used by homeless people for decades before Richard and his gardening guerrilla team spruced it up a couple of years ago and made it look a lot more inviting to all. Maybe that was a one off.
Friday 11 March 2016 8.11am
Here's hoping!

I see there is a chain and padlock on the gate, anyone know who is suppose to lock it up at night? I'm pretty sure if it was locked up at night they wouldn't bother climbing over the fence, maybe go home, get up early and get a job? ;)
Friday 11 March 2016 8.12am
It's known locally as "pissheads park". Street drinking should be made illegal. Fed up of seeing drunks and scum
Friday 11 March 2016 8.39am
Why would they bother working when there's free cash available via government handouts.

But back to pocket park. I've never seen it used by anyone other than the local drunks. Better off filling in or building on it.
Friday 11 March 2016 10.53am
Littledorrit1 wrote:
It's known locally as "pissheads park". Street drinking should be made illegal. Fed up of seeing drunks and scum

I'm glad you mentioned this and quote "pissheads park", as I posted here last year some time and got my head bitten off by someone. They said they have never seen anyone drinking in there!!! Really, I think they had the wrong park myself as its been like that for years!
Friday 11 March 2016 11.30am
Pops wrote:
Littledorrit1 wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned this and quote "pissheads park", as I posted here last year some time and got my head bitten off by someone. They said they have never seen anyone drinking in there!!! Really, I think they had the wrong park myself as its been like that for years!

I saw a gentleman in there early yesterday evening drinking wine straight from the bottle. He wasn't doing anything other than drinking but its a little kids park for goodness sake! Its not hard to see these things when you take The Rose tinted specs off.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when it gets warmer.
Friday 11 March 2016 11.45am
Ooh, can't wait for warm weather, especially as it's also used as a makeshift toilet.

Must be so pleasant for the parents and children visiting the little quaint park, only to be face with empty bottles of drink and the by-product left by the considerate "pissheads".
Wednesday 16 March 2016 11.44pm
Littledorrit1 - Where do you live to make such a ridiculously un-representative claim about Elliott's Row Pocket Park. I can't believe you're seriously making this claim. It's insulting and dangerous talk about a very precious rare little bit of open green public space. I regularly see families in there, children on the climbing frame, people having a bite to eat from the nearby snack bar, people sketching, people doing exercises and of course gardeners. It's also barely ever litter strewn because visitors mostly use the bin provided (which is regularly full) and both the council's cleaners and several local residents kept it so. I'm confident that most litter I clear in there is actually blown in from the street. Talk to those who attend Hayles Estate TRA. Talk to the most immediate neighbours, GHE, who have windows looking over the park across Elliott's Row and they'll confirm their view is my view. They've even recently funded some fresh manure which I spread on Tuesday evening. Far from being full of piss heads, the park is currently full of ****. A bit like you. Want a bit more proof, peruse this vast photo album of the park in recent years: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.769844986362147.1073741836.308165735863410&type=3
Wednesday 16 March 2016 11.51pm
Yes of course people drink alcohol in there too. There are control orders in place that authorities could use to deter this. But to suggest the "piss heads" use it in such a way that deters other users just doesn't stack up with my experience of those of the many people I know who use the space. I just can't believe were your perception comes from, I spend hours in the park every month and get to talk to many users and passers by.

There is always an option to lock it in the evening, but the view of the most engaged local residents who care for that space (three of us from different sides of St George's Road) is that the perception of anti-social behaviour doesn't warrant excluding everyone for several hours of the day or night. Happy to consider changing that, as I'm the manager of the park on behalf of the council. If you care about the space please do sign up at PocketPark.org.uk
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: