Roof top extension to Guinness Court Snowsfields

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Monday 21 March 2016 5.19pm
Great photos of both properties, thank you for posting. The cleaning of those chimneys must have been awful...
Wednesday 23 March 2016 6.35pm
Wouldn't the revenue raised from the commercial flats help fund the Trust that owns the flats so they can use that money to further pursue their charitable objectives of providing homes for poorer folks?

If the concern is that maintenance cost will rise for a lift, could the lift be restricted to those current tenants who want to pay for it?
Thursday 24 March 2016 7.20am
There is one factor that is being overlooked in most if not all current projects to build upwards around Guy St Park and Leathermarket Gardens. Apart from Burwash House (and that is set well back from the edge of the green spaces) most buildings adjacent to the parks are of four or five storeys only. Only one or two are six. The planned building at the junction of Guy St and Weston St will be 7.5 stories and the other side of the park, there is a seven storey building going up. The green spaces are being gradually hemmed in by taller and taller buildings. This will destroy the unique atmosphere of the gardens which currently allow a good view of the sky and trees - without craning your neck upwards! It would be good to keep anything over six (preferably five) storeys at least 20 metres from the edge of the gardens.
Sunday 3 April 2016 9.04pm
MiltonF wrote:
If the concern is that maintenance cost will rise for a lift, could the lift be restricted to those current tenants who want to pay for it?

It doesnt work like that, all tenants are required to pay a service charge, so even though i live on the ground floor and will never use the lift, I will still have to pay!!

Plus we (the tenants) have been left in the dark about what is happening to our estate. There was a drop in meeting, not much notice was given and the meeting wasnt in the evening, like you would expect. Resulting in those working full time (like myself) were unable to attend (unless we took leave).

We also cannot have a organised tenantsí and residentsí association like most estates - the Guinness Trust (now Partnership) are saying we cannot have one, its all rather odd.

http://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/borough-residents-told-to-wait-for-guinness/
Sunday 10 April 2016 10.52am
Hi Lilypod,

I live in Guinness Ct as well, and have been worried about the service charge, as I live on the ground/main entrance floor.

Have you been invited to the steering group? I managed to get myself on there, I was quite surprised considering I am also on the TRA that they've stopped us from setting up.

Glen
Tuesday 12 April 2016 1.38pm
Hi glen_se1,

I complained to the GT about the times of the meetings, as I work full time. It would have been nice to have one of the meetings early evening, however the staff just fobbed me off with excuses that there are a lot of night workers on the estate who prefer afternoon meetings. They also said the Bermondsey Village Hall is fully booked every night after 6pm, which is rather strange as I walk past their most evenings and its usually empty.

It was great to see the re-launch of the TRA last year, is there no updates from the trust about registering the TRA? I presume they are holding off until the luxury homes are all approved and paperwork signed off, which is so wrong!! Is there not another body we could contact in the meantime?
Friday 24 June 2016 9.19am
The issue re the TRA is quite confusing - GT has given us the run around, using delay tactics wherever possible. I know Bernie has worked hard to get to the bottom of it, and I think it is an issue above Eileen but it does seem as though they want the (handpicked) steering group to head up the residents side of things.

I'm not sure what can be done about the TRA being blocked, we were 'democratically' elected so I don't know how Guinness can stop it being formed - unless it is more to do with them not recognising it and that being an issue re financing etc.

I had high hopes we could make the association into a community hub.

I couldn't make the steering group meetings so no idea what is going on, and it all seems to have gone quiet - I would have expected the planning application to have been put through by now though.
Friday 14 October 2016 2.15pm
Got a letter from Southwark Council today in regards to the consultation application for full planning permission: external life core to Block C and double mansard roof extension over blocks A, B, and C to provide 30 residential units (luxury penthouses more likely). Application 16/AP/3819

The same thing happened to the tenants on the Guinness Trust in Brixton. The tenants were not happy with the regeneration plans and opposed the move to new high-rise blocks which would lead to higher rents and would destroy the beautiful old buildings on the estate which had a unique architectural value. They objected the planning process and tried to set up their own tenants association but they were blocked by the Guinness Trust and ignored by the council.

Glen_se1 do you happen to know if the tenants on the estate will object? The consultation period for this application ends on the 02/11/2016
Wednesday 19 October 2016 7.33pm
I spoke to Bernie about this, and she mentioned she would try and get a meeting together and try and make sure that an objection is lodged, I'll ask her again about it.
Friday 28 October 2016 4.05am
People also need to make individual objections & make them on proper grounds.
A lot of objections are thrown out because they are not well made even if they are well intended.
The fact that this is a listed building & in a conservation area will mean there are already big hurdles in the way.
If enough of a fight is put up early on then the people behind this may decide it best left alone.
https://www.richmond.gov.uk/what_is_a_valid_objection_to_a_planning_application
This link is for a different council but the points are valid.
It would also be worth contacting the heritage & conservation people to lodging objections with them
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: