Increase in vermin?!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 17 March 2016 2.04pm
Hi all, this may seem a bit strange, but hey it makes a change from the cycle superhighway!

I'm interested to see if others have noticed an increase in vermin particularly around Waterloo and Blackfriars? I know we have numerous demolition and building works in the area, and this may be part of the problem, but it seems to be getting worse. I've spotted a couple of said little buggers near Tesco in the Cut and the college. What do others think? And more importantly what is being done about it?
Thursday 17 March 2016 10.17pm
I've seen rats on the street on 3 occasions in the last 8 months or so, all on side streets off Marshalsea Road / Southwark Bridge Road. I had honestly never seen a rat running around anywhere before that.

One of them was in Little Doritt park, in the middle of the day, and it mooched casually around for about 10 minutes.
Thursday 17 March 2016 10.42pm
We've always had mice and rats in London but usually they're not so apparent. I think it's all the building works and drilling going on. I'm behind 'Blackfriars Circus' (ha ha) and when they were demolishing Hill House our flats were rocking! All those vibrations and displacement from the old buildings has got them on the move I reckon.
The council's brilliant at clearing the streets of litter so what else could it be?
I don't like the idea of poison. Or traps come to that. What's the humane way of dealing with the little critters?
Thursday 17 March 2016 10.52pm
Tame them?
Thursday 17 March 2016 11.32pm
I like it :-))
Friday 18 March 2016 4.03am
DebraG they have to be killed, or we learn to live with them. Unless someone has developed a substance that makes them sterile and they can be baited. However, I'd be concerned about this 'chemical' being released into the environment when they eventually die.
Friday 18 March 2016 10.09am
In that case I think prevention is better than cure. Find the attraction and close it down! But you'll never get rid of mice and rats, they've always been with us. I'll learn to live with them :-)
Friday 18 March 2016 5.24pm
Well I for one don't want to learn to live with them. I want them gone! As for Little Dorrit park, no way am I going there any more!
Friday 18 March 2016 9.37pm
DebraG wrote:
In that case I think prevention is better than cure. Find the attraction and close it down! But you'll never get rid of mice and rats, they've always been with us. I'll learn to live with them :-)

You're right. Finding the food source is the only long-term solution. Rats can't vomit so they are extra cautious when they find new food. That's why poisoning isn't very effective.
I wonder if someone in the area is leaving food out. This happened at London Bridge because of Shunt Theatre. The London Dungeon had a massive increase in it's wild rat population. It turned out they were living in there because of all the dark undisturbed areas but going across to Shunt who left food out after their parties, only bothering to clear it up the next day. I actually met the woman who was responsible but she wouldn't listen to sense and in fact was a quite disturbing hysterical person. Fortunately they moved and the rat population gradually reduced.
I'm in charge of the London Dungeon domestic rats so I was doubly concerned, for my rats and for the human staff and visitors.
Anyway I've seen that enormous population explosions can happen from an extra food source. I wonder if Lambeth council can investigate. http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/pests-noise-and-pollution
Friday 18 March 2016 10.28pm
That makes sense, Beetroot with all these restaurants opening up everywhere. Hmm maybe Southwark and Lambeth could join forces and seek out the culprits?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: