Bedroom tax..

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 17 March 2016 5.05pm
A friend of my daughter has been accepted on the Councils Housing waiting list . She is still living in the family home with her toddler, her Mum has been told that she is now liable to pay the Bedroom Tax, are the rules the same all over the country? This is in Derby.
Thursday 17 March 2016 6.39pm
Hi Jan

I believe this is the case all over the country now. If the lady's Mum is now under occupied then I think she will have to pay unless she's a pensioner? I can't be 100% sure so maybe other posters might know a bit more than me. SS.
Thursday 17 March 2016 6.45pm
My husbands friend is unemployed and claims housing benefit and has to pay bedroom tax as he has two bedroom place. He said its a real struggle as he is unemployed as well and has health problems. I just think as usual the government are penalising people who are disabled, sick or unemployed by cutting benefits yet again. But shame they dont cut down their own salaries of 100K+ per year. Always us all that suffer. not them.
Thursday 17 March 2016 6.49pm
Found some info from a site for you. forwarding it all here from site.

Bedroom tax: are you affected?
If you're a council or housing association tenant with a spare room, find out how much your housing benefit can be cut by.

What is the bedroom tax?
The bedroom tax is a cut in your housing benefit if you live in a council or housing association property and have what is classified as a 'spare' bedroom.

You can only claim for a certain number of bedrooms, depending on how many people live in your home.

Your council will let you know if you're affected. The bedroom tax is also known as the under-occupancy charge.

Who the bedroom tax applies to
You may get less housing benefit if all the following apply:

you have a spare bedroom
you live in a council or housing association property
you're of working age (when you or your partner reach state pension age you're no longer affected)
Bedroom tax doesn't apply to you if you live in:

private housing (housing benefit is worked out using different rules)
Friday 18 March 2016 7.49am
Thank you for answering, and idiot I am did not make it clear that she is being told she has to pay bed.tax. While daughter is still there, wonder if she has got mixed up?
Sunday 20 March 2016 9.26pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Thank you for answering, and idiot I am did not make it clear that she is being told she has to pay bed.tax. While daughter is still there, wonder if she has got mixed up?
I think if its a spare room (2nd bedroom) and the person is claiming housing benefits then the bedroom tax applies meaning the housing benefit is reduced to cover the spare room. I am not sure if it applies while her daughter is there she would have to check this out.
Sunday 20 March 2016 9.32pm
My friend wanted to get her elderly mum into sheltered accom because when her mums husband passed away recently and her mum now has to live with her as she cant live alone or look after herself, and my friend already does not have enough room and has to care for her and look after her children and she works as well. The sheltered accom told her its now a 4 year wait. Because when they brought in this bedroom tax the older people all rushed for sheltered accom and gave up their places rather then pay extra for a spare room. The social services had nothing available for her mum for the help and care she needed. its a diabolical system, her husband was her carer and he died.
Zoe
Monday 21 March 2016 8.27am
The bedroom tax doesn't apply to those over 65, so I would be surprised if it's the bedroom tax causing the wait (though some people may have panicked and moved). A more likely explanation is that the general housing crisis means even elderly people can't find anywhere to live, so take sheltered housing.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: