All night tube

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 17 March 2016 10.00pm
Now..
Yet another crazy idea..... The night tube! .. Can't they sleep in this crazy city? More noise from the trains and revellers etc more crime. Putting police under pressure etcetera etc etcetera....
Friday 18 March 2016 8.19am
Absolutely! At least now the revellers have to clear off for fear of missing the last train. When the night tube is up and running they can hang around all night.

I question who will be using the service? My vision is of drunks, revellers and half asleep night workers. No thanks.
Friday 18 March 2016 10.04am
I can understand your misgivings, but remember, initially it will only be a couple of lines that will run through the night.
In addition, it will only come into being when the tube unions have secured football players salaries for their members, and no doubt they will.
Then, after a while, it will be something that you take for granted, you'll use it, or you won't, but you'll know that it's there.
I spent around 13 months in New York City in the early 80s. And used the subway frequently to get home to Rockaway Parkway.
It wasn't rocket science that in common with native New Yorkers, you learn to avoid boarding/alighting/switching lines at Times Sq./42nd. St., Grand Central/42nd. St., and sometimes Bryant Sq./42nd. St. in the late night or early hours.
I would, depending where I was, grab a taxi to 14th. St./Union Sq., then take the L train to the end of the line at Canarsie/Rockaway Parkway, I'm still alive to tell the tale.
Friday 18 March 2016 12.11pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
I can understand your misgivings, but remember, initially it will only be a couple of lines that will run through the night.
In addition, it will only come into being when the tube unions have secured football players salaries for their members, and no doubt they will.

I'd be more in favour of this if they'd started running tube services all night when it really mattered - on weekdays/nights. Then at least the people who keep London running - nightworkers, shiftworkers, those on early turn (including hospital staff, bus drivers and railway workers) would get some benefit. It could be extended to weekends later.

Whatever they're paid, why should the tube workers be expected to give up time, upset their own weekends, change their working practices, just for the benefit of the tiny minority of London's population who actually want (and can afford) to party all night at weekends? But I suppose it will be useful for some night workers - at least for the bar staff and bouncers.

Incidentally, who's subsidising this pointless exercise?
Friday 18 March 2016 1.32pm
And why should the hard pressed tube workers be allowed to hold London to ransom when they strike and cause chaos and mass headache for the commuter or when they threaten strikes and lead business and people to change their plans
Friday 18 March 2016 1.45pm
chelsea190512 wrote:
And why should the hard pressed tube workers be allowed to hold London to ransom when they strike and cause chaos and mass headache for the commuter or when they threaten strikes and lead business and people to change their plans

What's that got to do with it? We're discussing the night tube not the right to strike!
Friday 18 March 2016 1.55pm
Yes I know that - yet you clearly started going off thread with below :

Whatever they're paid, why should the tube workers be expected to give up time, upset their own weekends, change their working practices, just for the benefit of the tiny minority of London's population who actually want (and can afford) to par

So I replied with :

Friday 18 March 2016 2.13pm
chelsea190512 wrote:
Yes I know that - yet you clearly started going off thread with below :
Whatever they're paid, why should the tube workers be expected to give up time, upset their own weekends, change their working practices, just for the benefit of the tiny minority of London's population who actually want (and can afford) to par

So I replied with :

The whole discussion started with 'More noise from the trains and revellers etc more crime. Putting police under pressure etcetera etc etcetera....' so why shouldn't I comment about the pressure being put on the railway workers? - they're the ones in the front line. And at least you can say their strikes got the attention of TfL - which is more than can be said for all the outrage being expressed on this forum about the road layout at Elephant and Castle!
Friday 18 March 2016 2.42pm
True they do seem to be able to get their point across when they threaten strikes - anyway the nearest tube to me approx 10 mins walk - so shouldnt affect me much - just have to put up with the foxes,anyway thats another story
Friday 18 March 2016 3.11pm
John C wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:

I'd be more in favour of this if they'd started running tube services all night when it really mattered - on weekdays/nights. Then at least the people who keep London running - nightworkers, shiftworkers, those on early turn (including hospital staff, bus drivers and railway workers) would get some benefit. It could be extended to weekends later.

Whatever they're paid, why should the tube workers be expected to give up time, upset their own weekends, change their working practices, just for the benefit of the tiny minority of London's population who actually want (and can afford) to party all night at weekends? But I suppose it will be useful for some night workers - at least for the bar staff and bouncers.

Incidentally, who's subsidising this pointless exercise?

As to 'expecting tube workers to give up time, upset their weekends, change working practices, etc.'
According to a tube worker in my family, who granted works at concourse level, keeping an eye on ticket barriers, tube drivers will be ready to sell their first born to jump on this gravy train, pardon the pun, when the night tube does start to run.
They are salivating at the prospect of raised wages, and bonuses to accept night working.
Some are filled with anguish at the prospect of new strikes slowing down the commencement date of the night tube, one of his friends saying that he is relying on the bonus for spending money on a family Florida holiday that is already booked.
Nothing wrong in that, if you get good money for doing what your job requires, you can have a couple of weeks in Tahiti for all I care.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: