Bring back our subways!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 18 March 2016 9.11am
Speak up everyone, against the disaster which is the Elephant and Castle Roundabout "improvement" "enhancement" "safer" etc.
This catastrophe has been forced upon us by Tfl, aided and abetted by Southwark Council and the Mayor.
Residents of SE1 and indeed all those who have to negotiate this monster RISE UP AND SHOUT

Friday 18 March 2016 9.44am
Where do I sign Jackie! What an tremendous cock up taking away the least reinstating the subways will save lives, the continuing 'improvements' are costing them! Wonder if TFL and the council will be brave enough to put it the vote through social media or newspapers?
Friday 18 March 2016 9.55am
Indeed Jan. But there's power in numbers. That's why I'm begging everyone to chime in on this. We've seen enough. It's no good telling us that "it'll all be fine when it's finished". No it won't.
Friday 18 March 2016 10.21am
Yes, let have the subways back OR resignations at the highest level.

Their call.
Friday 18 March 2016 10.44am
Could start a petition on
Friday 18 March 2016 7.12pm
You're welcome to start a petition.

I have a database of over 300 names already registered at and thousands of sympathetic supporters at and @roundaboutnews

Many, like Jackie, could see the issue ahead of closure. For others it has perhaps taken their demolition to realise their potential. There have been subways here for over 100 years, their destruction was down to prioritising perceptions over reality (a dangerous methodology in whatever livelihood or context) and then recklessly believing perceptions could only be fixed by demolition.

But this campaign faced formidable opposition for the local heritage poodle Jeremy Leach, developers and the local council. They are the movers and shakers around here, and until they accept their errors nothing will change. They are cold-hearted in their anti-subway stance. For example shortly after Ann Hedger died, Jeremy tweeted in response to the news "Oh dear. First fatality on the new configuration at Elephant & Castle. I personally prefer the surface level... " Behind his pet-shop-friendly facade Jeremy is a sharp operator, so uncooperative with anyone who disagrees with him that (A) he'll edit out their contribution from supposedly collaborative projects (B) he has blocked me reading his tweets if I login to twitter as @roundaboutnews

So, crack Jeremy, and you'll begin making progress around here. He chairs several community organisations.
Friday 18 March 2016 10.50pm
Does anyone know what happened to the beautiful and colourful ceramic murals that lined the subways? Hope they weren't destroyed and buried along with the tunnels?
Friday 18 March 2016 10.57pm
The tunnels were filled with concrete with the murals still inside I think.
Friday 18 March 2016 11.32pm
Richard/Perretonian, whilst people those you disparage on this forum can speak for themselves (if they read it and choose to do so), I would like to ask you to please stop posting personal attacks (like the above on Jeremy Leach). I don't think it's fair and I think you should recognise a difference in opinion from malicious intent. And what the hell does "crack" him mean?

Both you and Jeremy do a hell of a lot for the local community - and generate respect for that - so allow other people to disagree with you and stop insulting them when they do, please. It is not an attractive way to behave. Tweets are also notoriously easy to mis-represent - this tweet of yours extrapolated some unfortunate damage to your planting to casually mis-represent the entire population of in East Walworth.
Friday 18 March 2016 11.56pm
I agree with Luke, your personal attacks on Jeremy Leach distract from the generally excellent points you are making. I am confident that Jeremy Leach does not actually have the power to make the decisions you claim for him and is hardly the equivalent of a developer or TfL. Taking an aggressive stance to people you disagree with is not the way to handle things.

Bringing back the subways undoubtedly faces stiff opposition, but it's not from Jeremy Leach, it's the combined force of TfL (and I really don't know why they hate them so much), Southwark Council and Lend Lease.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: