E&C Greasy Spoon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Tuesday 29 March 2016 5.16pm
Sad to see that the Greasy Spoon on the ground floor of the shopping centre has closed...feels like the beginning of the end.
Tuesday 29 March 2016 8.22pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Sad to see that the Greasy Spoon on the ground floor of the shopping centre has closed...feels like the beginning of the end.

The Sundial Café had been there forever, and they once made an honest fry-up, though standards had recently slipped.

Shortly before the unexpected closure (looking through the windows there are still bottles and cans of soft drinks in the turned off display fridges) it had partitioned itself into two separate businesses, and appeared to be under new management.

Given the the E&C's shopping centers' days are numbered, it could prove difficult to find a new short term lessee.
Tuesday 29 March 2016 8.47pm
Oh, this is sad news indeed. I loved that Greasy Spoon and I couldn't count the number of times I have eaten there. The retro interior, their frankfurters, their tea or a regular fry-up: they got it exactly right.
Indeed, the demise of my beloved shopping centre has begun and there is no way back. When I moved to SE1, 13 years ago, I was warned for what was, allegedly, one of the most dreadful places in London. Widely acclaimed as an affront to architecture as well as the epitome of 'downmarket'.

The contrary was my experience. Perhaps not the prettiest of buildings, but once inside it isn't only a mall that provides nearly everything you need, it is London at its most authentic. Diverse, grotty, colourful and dreary. This place is, if anything, alive. I shall miss it dearly.

But, perhaps, I am one of the culprits that contributed to making it disappear. I moved to SE1 not only because it was the only place I could afford, but also because it was 'a promising gentrification area'. I was unaware of the difference between regeneration and gentrification.

I now know better. RIP The Greasy Spoon.
Tuesday 29 March 2016 9.16pm
Fear not, Greasy Spooners - go to Great Suffolk Street for Terry's cafe (fab breakfasts), the Giggling Sausage and Olly's fish & chip shop. And for the healthy among us a greengrocers and a bakery. And if you overload on the fry ups there's an undertaker's - and a florist's too :-))
Tuesday 29 March 2016 9.22pm
DebraG wrote:
Fear not, Greasy Spooners - go to Great Suffolk Street for Terry's cafe (fab breakfasts), the Giggling Sausage and Olly's fish & chip shop. And for the healthy among us a greengrocers and a bakery. And if you overload on the fry ups there's an undertaker's - and a florist's too :-))

Brilliant, Debra, humour is the approach to grief. You made me laugh.
Tuesday 29 March 2016 9.43pm
DebraG that's both spot on and hilarious. Terry's cafe do the best bacon sarnie in SE1 IMHO.
Wednesday 30 March 2016 10.07am
Used to go there lovely grub, wonder if they do delivery! lol There's not many little streets that have it all now days Debra. WhenI first moved in to our little street you had it all: A Bakers..A Butchers.A Greengrocers..A functioning proper old fashioned pub. Oh even a hairdressers, there is still a hairdressers unforunately they only do black hair, and seeing clients come out of there they do an excellent job. The girls in there are lovely if anyone goes in there to chat...
Wednesday 30 March 2016 11.25am
My partner used to buy their cheesecakes a long long time ago and they were calling him Cheesecake boy! They refurbished and stopped selling them and so he started loving El Vergel cheesecakes instead.
Wednesday 30 March 2016 11.55am
I used to love the flakey pastry cheesecakes Connie, so did my Mum, they had a layer of icing on top liberally sprinkled with coconut strands!
Wednesday 30 March 2016 12.11pm
From mourning the closure of the Greasy Spoon, this thread has, for once, turned into happy one.

That's life. And I love it.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: