Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 31 March 2016 11.19am
Apologies, this is obviously a duplication of my initial post:
Okay, not strictly SE1, but close.
On Easter Sunday early evening, around 7.00 p.m. I think, I dropped my dad at a pub in Peckham and headed for home in Rotherhithe.
I came down St. James Rd and just managed to turn right on to Jamaica Road and sit at the back of a VERY slow moving line of traffic heading toward the tunnel.
I'm aware that it is almost always bad traffic along this stretch, but this seemed worse than normal.
When I finally made it to the roundabout at Rotherhithe tunnel the reason became glaringly obvious.
The tunnel was closed, a large illuminated matrix sign announcing this, plus the barrier being down, and the traffic lights flashing red.
Yet a queue of cretinous morons had formed at the tunnel entrance, presumably thinking that the tunnel would miraculously re-open any second now.
After 3 or 4 minutes, the last car in the queue, with the driver presumably realising that he'd be there until after the Easter Weekend if he didn't move now, reversed and went into Brunel Road.
This created a sufficient gap for me to get into Brunel Road too, and I was home some 2 minutes later.
I still cannot fathom the mind set of the driver at the front of the line, who when faced with a red light, closed barrier, and enormous "Tunnel Closed" sign, decided to wait to see if the barrier would open in a couple of seconds.
No doubt the other morons waiting patiently behind him, while blocking the roundabout, were thinking, "Hmmm, this guy must know that it will open soon." Extreme fail.
Thursday 31 March 2016 12.45pm
I think we all feel your pain! But remember, it only takes a small number of stupid people to do stuff like this, the rest of us are hopefully a bit more on the ball (even me, despite starting a sentence with but).
Thursday 31 March 2016 1.13pm
Shouldn't there be a sign much further west indicating the tunnel is closed so that people can divert over Tower Bridge?
Thursday 31 March 2016 3.11pm
Guy's street wrote:
Shouldn't there be a sign much further west indicating the tunnel is closed so that people can divert over Tower Bridge?

I seriously doubt that it would make any difference, I find that John Q. Public behind the wheel in London can be as dumb as all get out.
A few years back, Hammersmith Bridge, while undergoing repairs for months, was closed to all traffic save for the single decker bus which used it to get to and from Barnes.
This was signposted all over Shepherds Bush, Chiswick, and along Cromwell Road, back to about Queensgate, or Gloucester Road.
Cars and small vans would regularly sit by the closed barriers, patiently waiting for ever, or until a local, or an exasperated copper would tell them that they were wasting their time.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: