The Con Man is back

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 31 March 2016 2.34pm
Readers may remember a few years ago there was a con man in Borough who claimed his car, loaded with frozen food, had been clamped and he desperately needed 20 or it would all be ruined.

He also said he owned a shop in Borough where you could go the next day and he would pay you back

Well he's back. He approached me on Saturday night outside William Hills claiming to be the owner of the nearby dry cleaners and he desperately needed twenty quid because his car laden with dry cleaning etc ..... Although this is less compelling as dry cleaning can't spoil like frozen food.

Made me quite happy that some things in Borough never change
Thursday 31 March 2016 10.23pm
If someone asked me for 20.00 to un-clamp his car, else the frozen food within will spoil, I offer to buy 20.00 worth, if I like the goods, and the price is right...
Monday 4 April 2016 9.45am
I actually got turned over by this guy last year. He caught me at 2am in a sentimental manner on a Friday night stumbling down back to Elephant after a night out with the meat van clamp story.

A couple of weeks later I went to Kennington Tandoori and chatted with the owner who was well aware of the scam from years back as apparently his business is one he regularly refers to. On a side note the owner is a nice chap.... He offered me free drinks next time I had a curry there!!!

British Asian guy with a south east bromleyish accent and convincing routine. Watch out people! :)
Monday 4 April 2016 10.29am
He is indeed a lovely man, and when I lived in Waterloo (1980-1990) I used to eat there regularly. One day we sat next to a table with Desmund Tutu and ended up shoving the tables together. A truly memorable night!
Monday 4 April 2016 2.29pm
LonelyCaballero wrote:
I actually got turned over by this guy last year. He caught me at 2am in a sentimental manner on a Friday night stumbling down back to Elephant after a night out with the meat van clamp story.

I'm really embarrassed to admit I was caught out too. It was as I was staggering home a good deal later than even 2am (I seem to remember it being nearly dawn). As soon as I woke up I realised it was a ridiculous scam but in my inebriated state my critical faculties went missing. Still, you got to admire the guy's work ethic, pulling the routine all hours of the day!
Monday 4 April 2016 8.02pm
Next time you see this bloke, take a photo and report to the police. It's hardly anything to 'admire'. If only he worked as hard doing an actual job and not a scam!

Last time I saw him, I took a picture and phoned the police. He was extremely rude and quite shouty. Not. a. nice. conman.

It was the old locked myself out of the car routine.
CK
Wednesday 30 November 2016 11.00am
Another con which has been raised on this forum in the past but which I encountered this morning...

Dark-haired lady in her late 40s, tall, smartly-dressed, but facially haggard-looking, approached me on London Bridge this morning around 5.45am. I had clocked her already as I approached as she was in a heated discussion with two other people who looked like they were trying to get away from her. I had earphones in so I didn't hear what was being said. I walked passed and then the lady came running up from behind looking very distressed. She said her Dad was being rushed to hospital in Oxford and she needed money for the train. I was in a rush and didn't have any cash on me so I told her I was sadly unable to help. She calmly walked off and her whole demeanor appeared to change. I kept on walking and noticed that she was following me. There was a group of 10 or so people waiting at a bus stop ahead so I wanted to check to see whether she would approach them with the thinking being, if she really was genuinely desperate, surely she would ask them too. However, she just calmly walked past them. Clearly her MO is to pick on individuals / couples at strange times of the day to take advantage of them being in a tired / vulnerable state. There's too much risk with a larger group I guess of being found out / someone taking a photo / reporting it, etc.

5 or 6 years back I was conned by the exact same story near More London, thankfully only out of a fiver by a younger girl with the same desperate need to catch a train. I subsequently discovered on this forum that she had being selling the same story to other people.

Just wanted to flag as without having read others' reports I may have been caught out again!
Wednesday 30 November 2016 11.21am
I wonder how she would have reacted if you had said 'I'll come to the ticket office with you and buy the ticket' , rather than giving her the cash....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: