Stolen tombstone

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 5 April 2016 6.26pm
Dear Neighbours
Has anyone seen my great, great grand mother's tombstone which was stolen from my supposedly secure parking space in Webber Street between Good Friday and 31 March? Her name - just readable - is Mary Ann Vincer (nee Powell) and the date last 19th Century. Grandmother Vincer lived at Elephant and Castle.

The stone is in two parts (of three) and, when assembled, was about 18" high, 15" wide and 3/4 an inch thick of very worn sandstone. I had it here for repair. It has absolutely no value, other than sentimental value for my family and me, and is quite useless without the missing third.
Who would steal or remove such a thing? Can anyone help please?

David
Wednesday 6 April 2016 11.29am
Is there open access David ? Do you think estate cleaner would have moved t thinking it could be lobbed through someone's window? I can't really understand why anyone else would take unless someone thought they could profit from selling it as antiquity? Hope you get it back.
Wednesday 6 April 2016 8.17pm
Many thanks. No I have checked with cleaners, estate managing agents, etc and thankfully all windows in tact. It is just very strange. I suppose there is nowt so rum as folk. I will let you know if and when I get it back. Best David
Friday 8 April 2016 7.41am
Iím sorry. Un fortunately, I canít help you. But I am shocked. It is beyond humane to steal someoneís tombstone. That is just outrageous. I feel sorry for our world. People act as if they didnít have respect for higher values. This is the worst kind of vandalism. It not only affects the whole society but it is particularly painful just for one family. Once again, I am really sorry.
Friday 8 April 2016 7.54am
Thanks. Much appreciated.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: