Congestion

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 6 April 2016 10.03pm
My elder son, who has lived in Germany for almost thirty years, is back in the UK for a short visit.
He drove off Le Shuttle at Folkestone this morning, went to visit his half-sister in Catford, then came to me around lunchtime.
After suffering me squeezing him, and kissing him on both cheeks, he said, "Dad, how the blank can you suffer this poxy traffic, it took me forever to get to Sam's, then double forever to get to Rotherhithe?"
"Really?" I said, "how do you think it is for me? Since I quit taxi driving, I can't use the bus lane with Deborah's car, so I walk, or take a bus, why didn't you fly in and out of LCY, like I do?"
He said, "I'm taking Mum and Mick, (my ex's husband), back for a week, and it'll be easier to take them in the car, then they'll fly back into Luton."
We went out for a drink after dinner, and he said, "Dad, I thought all those immigrants were a bad idea of Mutti Merkel's, but I'd rather have them in Bielefeld than the poxy traffic that you have to put up with."
Wednesday 6 April 2016 11.22pm
But according to Uncle Farage, it's immigration that causes congestion...
Wednesday 6 April 2016 11.39pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

eDWaRD, I treat that man in a similar way that I treat the Dail Mail, the Sun, the Star, and the Express, and I don't even believe the date at the top of the page in those rags.
Thursday 7 April 2016 12.23am
Tom Pepper wrote:
After suffering me squeezing him, and kissing him on both cheeks, he said, "Dad, how the blank can you suffer this poxy traffic, it took me forever to get to Sam's, then double forever to get to Rotherhithe?"
"Really?" I said, "how do you think it is for me? Since I quit taxi driving, I can't use the bus lane with Deborah's car, so I walk, or take a bus, why didn't you fly in and out of LCY, like I do?"
He said, "I'm taking Mum and Mick, (my ex and her husband), back for a week, and it'll be easier to take them in the car, then they'll fly back into Luton."
We went out for a drink after dinner, and he said, "Dad, I thought all those immigrants were a bad idea of Mutti Merkel's, but I'd rather have them in Bielefeld than the poxy traffic that you have to put up with."

If he's been in Germany for 30 years, he must be around 50 now, so I'll bet he loved you grabbing him and kissing him on both cheeks!
Sure your name's not Tom Poivre?
Seriously though Tom, if you don't drive your wife's car because you can't use the bus lanes, perhaps they're working.
Even if Jamaica Road is at a standstill from Dockhead to Rotherhithe Tunnel, at least that means that the buses and black cabs SHOULD have a clear lane.
Thursday 7 April 2016 1.20am
Tom Pepper wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

eDWaRD, I treat that man in a similar way that I treat the Dail Mail, the Sun, the Star, and the Express, and I don't even believe the date at the top of the page in those rags.

So do I, unfortunately there are many who take the man seriously and feel empowered by the likes of him.
Thursday 7 April 2016 8.09am
Book launch in 2025, Owen jones presents his new book "Farage, the man that saved the NHS".
Thursday 7 April 2016 8.23am
Tom Pepper wrote:
"I thought all those immigrants were a bad idea of Mutti Merkel's, but I'd rather have them in Bielefeld than the poxy traffic that you have to put up with."

Getting away from Farage, (I wish) that's a bizarre conflation of two quite different situations by Pepper minor. Or, is that the 'lesser of two evils' philosophy being applied?
Thursday 7 April 2016 10.54am
janefs wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
"I thought all those immigrants were a bad idea of Mutti Merkel's, but I'd rather have them in Bielefeld than the poxy traffic that you have to put up with."

Getting away from Farage, (I wish) that's a bizarre conflation of two quite different situations by Pepper minor. Or, is that the 'lesser of two evils' philosophy being applied?

I gently pressed him on this, uneasily concerned that as a German naturalised citizen now, he may be adopting the mindset that his new compatriots developed in the 1930s.
He said that in common with most Germans he knows, he doesn't view the influx of refugees and asylum seekers as 'evil', but he said that there is a ground swell of feeling that the Bundestag didn't consider an 'end game', when adopting an open door policy.
So from that standpoint, he said that unless the teeming hordes flocking in directly adversely affected his family, then in his opinion, give them a chance, they are infinitely more preferable, (to him), than sitting in a never ending traffic jam in New Kent Road.
As a light aside, when he first got his Bundesrepublik Deutschland Reisepass, (German passport), around 2002 or 3, he took both that and his U.K. one when he flew into Stansted.
He presented the Reisepass at passport control, and the official asked him a couple of questions.
He said that the guy said, "Christ sir, you're good with our language, where did you learn it, at the University of Peckham?"
Friday 8 April 2016 10.55am
As a rider to my post in which I said my son in Germany didn't view the arrival of asylum seekers as evil, I recall around 5 or 6 years ago when my younger German grandson was held back in school due to an influx of Polish and Russian children who couldn't speak nor understand German.
The head teacher at his school told my German daughter-in-law that until the immigrant kids had a handle on the language the German kids would spend their time reading, and revising stuff they'd already been taught.
My daughter-in-law was spitting feathers, and ready to implement another blitzkrieg on Poland and Unternehmen Barbarossa on Russia!
Fortunately, her mother, who lived through the originals, calmed her down.
Now that the elder one is at University in Kleve, where Anna of Kleve,(Anne of Cleves), was from, and the younger is waiting to start, things have calmed down a bit.
Friday 8 April 2016 11.24am
Got on a 45 bus yesterday morning, at the start of Blackfriars rd going North. 15 minutes later, I was still on the bridge, absolute joke, I was going for job interview and getting quite worried about time, so I got off and walked to Holborn. Never again will I even think of doing that again.

Of course, the bus overtook me on Farringdon rd!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: