Crossing blackfriars bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 10 April 2016 9.26am
Sorry Jan. Lost your thread post. Re time spent on bus from St Pancras to southbank area etc.. Took me 40 mins from Southwark tube bus stop to. Ludgate circus. Beat that! And we all know what that is due to huh? Roadworks!! '!!' poor businesses suffering inconvenience noise pollution also. Pedestrians lack of space to walk safely on new bridge st. Crossing roads etc. Nightmare stuff!
Sunday 10 April 2016 9.58am
I can't take no more.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg-jtYXvI7M
Sunday 10 April 2016 12.34pm
This is all down to the super cycle highway!
Sunday 10 April 2016 10.44pm
As I suspected!
Monday 11 April 2016 1.16am
The Congestion Charge didn't reduce traffic, nor will attempts to turn private motorists into cyclists/pedestrians/public transport users. The way BoJo has been handling the whole traffic malarkey in London is a farce. With Cameron being under pressure, I guess he BoJo will try and build a more fondly remembered legacy when he becomes PM of a Great Brexitain©.
Monday 11 April 2016 5.49pm
Paramount wrote:
Sorry Jan. Lost your thread post. Re time spent on bus from St Pancras to southbank area etc.. Took me 40 mins from Southwark tube bus stop to. Ludgate circus. Beat that! And we all know what that is due to huh? Roadworks!! '!!' poor businesses suffering inconvenience noise pollution also. Pedestrians lack of space to walk safely on new bridge st. Crossing roads etc. Nightmare stuff!

Obviously it depends when you're travelling and in which direction. I decided to take a bus back from St Pancras this afternoon (about 4.00 pm) to see what the fuss was about. No sign of a 63, so I got the 45 (which takes the long way round via Gray's Inn Road). Yes it was slow (5 minutes at the start to get from St Pancras to King's Cross) - but overall 35 minutes from St Pancras to St George's Circus, where I got off. No noticeable hold-ups except for the roadworks at the north end of Blackfriars Bridge. (And no visible hold-ups on Blackfriars Road in either direction at that time.)

I certainly wouldn't rely on the bus if I needed to get somewhere at a certain time - but if God had meant us to ride on buses in central London he wouldn't have given us tube trains.
Monday 11 April 2016 6.32pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
The Congestion Charge didn't reduce traffic, nor will attempts to turn private motorists into cyclists/pedestrians/public transport users.
Two questions, Edward:

Why do you think that's the case? A few years ago, it took only a couple of weeks of commuting across central London by Tube to convince me to do it by bike instead. It was obvious to me that it was quicker, cheaper, better for my own (mental and physical) health and was also for the greater good. If I was regularly sat vegetating in my car going nowhere fast and watching cyclists going by, making speedy progress in a dedicated and segregated lane and getting beneficial exercise (almost) for free I reckon eventually something would click inside my brain. Am I so atypical?

What do you think would reduce (motor vehicle) traffic? Or is it a lost cause and we just have to suffer all the horrible consequences of ever increasing motor traffic as the price to pay for living and/or working in London?
Tuesday 12 April 2016 1.00pm
I had a great guffaw at your Great Brexitain..copyright! Very funny, well, we must laugh at something.Thanks, Mr.Woodward.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: