Closure of Great Suffolk Street (Again)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 13 April 2016 1.34pm
Less than 6 months after Great Suffolk Street was closed and traffic calming measures introduced, the Council has yet again closed the road for resurfacing.

I don't get it.

Why didn't they do all of this in one go the first time round?

Instead, residents & local businesses are being forced to suffer the consequences.

Residents have lost the use of the parking spaces between Borough High Road & Southwark Bridge Road. The parking spaces outside of the local businesses have been taken up by contractors vehicles, thereby affecting passing trade for local shops, the pavement on one side has been closed off for pedestrians, and everyone who lives & works nearby or those who wish to visit anyone in the local area is being inconvenienced.

It's also causing traffic chaos for the part of Great Suffolk Street which is still open to traffic.

Why can't Southwark Council act sensibly for a change, and do everything in one go instead of closing a road several times within a space of a few months?

Bad planning Southwark (As per usual)
Wednesday 13 April 2016 1.59pm
It's blooming ridiculous. I saw them this morning bringing in the plant and blocking off the road. I could scarcely believe it.

Almost as ridiculous as whatever is (not) happening with the Gt Suffolk St/Trinity St/Borough High St (or is it Newington Causeway at that point?) pedestrian crossing.

The crossing spent several months being fenced off altogether - while NO work was being done. Then they finally removed the barricades - and still no work has been done there.

It's quite a busy pedestrian crossing, with many school children using it to get to Charles Dickens School.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 13 April 2016 2.40pm
It's not only Southwark.

On my route to work, not sure if it is City of London, or Camden, but there is a stretch near St Pauls that is closed for the second time in 6 months for a different utility company to dig up the road.
Wednesday 13 April 2016 3.19pm
I can only concur with you all: ridiculous and a huge inconvenience. As a cyclist the route Trinity/Great Suffolk Street/Webber Street is the safest and quickest way of getting to Waterloo Bridge.

Inefficient and very annoying. And that is putting it mildly.
Wednesday 13 April 2016 4.41pm
According to the letter they sent residents last week Trinity Street is next.

Trinity Street will be closed 15-16 April. http://streetworks.southwark.gov.uk/details.asp?ref=LBS-SC1455302/1&org_code=

It looks like the traffic lights at the Borough High Street Junction are due for completion 18-20 April. http://streetworks.southwark.gov.uk/details.asp?ref=YG001287&org_code=
Wednesday 13 April 2016 6.09pm
I was going to start a similar thread! Watched them at lunch time, and then saw the results this evening: they've tarmac-ed an area about 4 square metres, butting up to the fancy new block-paved zebra crossing. Then they (or someone else) was re-doing part of Southwark Bridge Rd which was entirely resurfaced in February, putting more temporary lights at the junction with Gt Suffolk St about 2 weeks after the last set of lights (the reason for which I never discovered) were removed.

Presumably it's a job creation scheme where they pay people to dig holes then fill them in again.
Wednesday 13 April 2016 6.46pm
PeteStaples wrote:
2 weeks after the last set of lights (the reason for which I never discovered) were removed.
Presumably it's a job creation scheme where they pay people to dig holes then fill them in again.

More likely it's a revenue creation scheme by politicians for their construction company mates.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: