Old thread about open air school

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 14 April 2016 6.55am
James could you or the kind soul that gave me a link about the Nightingale Open Air school in dunton oad about a year ago point me in the right direction to find it, did try search . But could not find it. I want to show granddaughter .
Thursday 14 April 2016 7.51am
it was me Jan if that helps you look for it - will try and see if I can find again
Thursday 14 April 2016 9.56am
Thank you Dee Dee...I am also going to buy my Aunt a photo of the school. It's a sad case today where a disease that killed millions and was virtually eradicated in the uk , including my paternal grandmothers first husband and her five month old baby within 24 hours of each other, has now come back to these shores. X
Thursday 14 April 2016 10.06am
and they no longer vaccinate teenagers against it unless deemed to be at specific risk
Friday 15 April 2016 11.21am
Dee Dee just read article about some poor employee of Derby council contracted TB from a phone. He/she was handling a phone call where the client could not speak English , and the phone was being passed back and forth between translator, client and employee! Turned out client had active TB.....
Friday 15 April 2016 6.31pm
They vaccinate babies in London but not nationwide. My Nan lost her mum and sister really young to TB, it's such a blight!

Her Mum was sent to an isolation hospital in grove park
Friday 15 April 2016 8.35pm
I think Stitch the vaccination should be rolled out nationally once more, especially with the influx of newcomers where TB is rife on their home shores. As your Nan and mine knew the personal cost of losing people they loved to this preventable disease they would be horrified to discover the vaccination is only offered in certain places. My housebound sister in law was coughing up blood in the eighties, I went to her GP. Got a letter for X-ray ,within 24 hours she was admitted to Guys and they thought she had lung cancer because of the shadow on her lung. This faint bell was in my brain. Yep she had TB. I asked consultant could she have it it from new home help . He poo pooed the idea and said it could have stayed dormant for years.
She had to take a six month course of various medications. Perhaps the powers that be think a weeks course of antibiotics will do the trick. So they stopped vaccinations and also mobile chest X-rays in the big vans!
Sunday 17 April 2016 8.48pm
You're right Jan, every child should get the vaccine! The decision to stop it was so short sighted. How many of the kids born outside London will live or work here when they're adults.

They should bring back the jab and do something to stop people spitting!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: