Food huts on Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Saturday 16 April 2016 9.17am
I am pretty sure that there are plans to have stalls all the way down Blackfriars Road eventually. I'm sure this was mentioned when the council did their walkabouts to gauge public opinion of Blackfriars Road and to contribute (really?) to the BFR SPD. I know that several of us suggested raised beds and lots of planting but I didn't hear anyone ask for pop up stalls, except someone with the council team mentioned it. At that point I began to think it was just a PR exercise. Max33 is right. There's currently four paladin bins on the walkway off Joan Street that are over full and bags of rubbish on the floor. This is rubbish from the bars on Isabela Street and the pop up stalls and it stinks. I'm sure these bins are supposed to be kept at the back of their premises.
Saturday 16 April 2016 9.57am
As far as I'm aware, those huts were the brainchild of a local, well the ones on the Post office side are, and I know he was behind the little shop opposite under the bridge.
We go on about local businesses and independents and supporting them. Perhaps they should all grow beards.
For the record, I have seen the fruit stall man use the convenience in the Ring. I Don't know why the hygiene of the workers there should be called into question, I know one of them lives in Peabody off Roupell st, i'm sure he pops home when necessary.
None of these trendy food markets attract vermin, of course not.
Saturday 16 April 2016 10.33am
I think we can all agree, that if the bins are over laden, it's not really the fault of the vendors and would not be a reason to object to the huts, unless we are going to prevent people eating in parks, where come 2pm the bins are always full and rubbish left beside them.
Saturday 16 April 2016 11.12am
The bins are put there by the council for use by the businesses. The businesses pay for the bins. If the bin is not big enough for their use, they need to pay for another one. Therefore bags of commercial waste on the floor by bins is the fault of the vendor. Personally I think we should do all we can to stop people eating on the street, food gets dropped or thrown and generally the smell from all the different types of food is revolting. If we must have pop up stalls they should be in areas where people can sit and eat and dispose of their rubbish properly. I'm sick and tired of removing food and drinks wrappings off our garden wall because people are too lazy to hang on to the litter until they find a bin. In this respect it is not the vendor's fault, but they could help by displaying signs.
Saturday 16 April 2016 11.54am
Karen I wrote:
The bins are put there by the council for use by the businesses. The businesses pay for the bins. If the bin is not big enough for their use, they need to pay for another one. Therefore bags of commercial waste on the floor by bins is the fault of the vendor. Personally I think we should do all we can to stop people eating on the street, food gets dropped or thrown and generally the smell from all the different types of food is revolting. If we must have pop up stalls they should be in areas where people can sit and eat and dispose of their rubbish properly. I'm sick and tired of removing food and drinks wrappings off our garden wall because people are too lazy to hang on to the litter until they find a bin. In this respect it is not the vendor's fault, but they could help by displaying signs.

Fair enough, I'll mention it to them. I think they should have the chance to put it right.
Sunday 17 April 2016 4.33pm
Further to one of the earlier posts I am pleased to say that the plaque at the Young Vic was moved into a new position on Greet St. a while ago i believe and is now easy to see.

I think it was originally covered accidentally by the doors of the Young Vic workshop in it's original position - this was particularly during the Summer when the large doors were opened for ventilation etc.

I hope we will be able to see the Blackfriars Road placque again soon as it is a valuable insight into local history.

Back in the days of The Cut and the Lower Marsh being working fresh produce markets I remember that the stallholders would make piles of rubbish throughout the day - discarded produce and fruit boxes etc which were then cleared up by a regular street cleaner at the end of the market day. I don't remember rubbish being left overnight etc. Maybe something similar could be tried in Blackfriars Road ( as an aside there were also several people whio used to pick up some of the discarded produce at the end of the trading day to use 'as it was good enough to eat' - an early forerunner of what big retailers are starting to do today with unsold or discarded food ).

I hope local people are and /or can be involved in Blackfriars Road's food kiosks - and maybe it could be a location where the local authority and suitable charities could support local entrepeneurs in 'start up' businesses and help the businesses understand what they need to do to run food businesses with regard to all the current regulations to avoid any ill feeling or misunderstandings.
npt
Monday 18 April 2016 11.59am
I've eaten at both of these stalls and never ever had a problem. They seemed to pop up when the railway arch by Union St Café was shut that housed 6 or 7 different, and very popular, food vendors for lunches for nearby workers. You're hard pressed to get a better quality, freshly cooked lunch the £5 (or thereabouts) on offer in those places. Much better than dropping a small fortune on an underwhelming sandwich from one of the dozen Pret outlets nearby
Monday 18 April 2016 9.16pm
The food doesn't bother me, or the proliferation of small entrepreneurial businesses. In fact I applaud and support this type of business over the identkit "Pret a Nando's ". What I don't like is the rubbish, discarded food, the vermin and the local streets being used as a DIY toilet! It seems as if Southwark Council give little consideration to the environmental impact, the local community when granting these licences.
Saturday 18 March 2017 4.31pm
Permission refused:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9136

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Saturday 18 March 2017 8.00pm
I'm surprised to see the refusal, given that Southwark seems to allow pretty much anything else to be built.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: