Daylight

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 16 April 2016 5.44pm
Something I guess we take for granted, but an excellent article by George Turner called Daylight Robbery got me thinking, especially as he mentioned new developments in Southwark. Here is an extract from his article

In Southwark a new development proposed for Blackfriars has a particularly nasty impact. The set of tall buildings being built by Barratt’s is surrounded by social housing, most of which will be plunged into darkness by a new development of luxury homes called Blackfriars Circus.

On the other side of Blackfriars Road from the new development is the Blackfriars Estate. Built in 1871 it was one of the first Peabody housing estates. As a result of the new buildings some blocks of the estate will see 80% of the homes fail the guidance, with large numbers seeing their daylight being reduced by more than 40%.

Behind Blackfriars Circus are a group of relatively new buildings that were built to house people being moved from the Heygate Estate. Some of these homes will see their daylight reduced by 90%. What will be particularly galling for these people is that the Heygate was relatively well designed in terms of daylight and sunlight with the large residential blocks being well spaced. The people in these sites, called the Elephant and Castle Early Housing were in come cases compelled to move from their homes, and now will face years living next to a building site, watching vast walls being constructed in front of their windows.
Building begins at Blackfriars Circus. To the right of the picture you can see the E&C Early Housing which will be completely overshadowed by the new buildings.
Sunday 17 April 2016 1.30am
JazzyQ wrote:
Something I guess we take for granted, but an excellent article by George Turner called Daylight Robbery got me thinking, especially as he mentioned new developments in Southwark. Here is an extract from his article
In Southwark a new development proposed for Blackfriars has a particularly nasty impact. The set of tall buildings being built by Barratt’s is surrounded by social housing, most of which will be plunged into darkness by a new development of luxury homes called Blackfriars Circus.

On the other side of Blackfriars Road from the new development is the Blackfriars Estate. Built in 1871 it was one of the first Peabody housing estates. As a result of the new buildings some blocks of the estate will see 80% of the homes fail the guidance, with large numbers seeing their daylight being reduced by more than 40%.

Behind Blackfriars Circus are a group of relatively new buildings that were built to house people being moved from the Heygate Estate. Some of these homes will see their daylight reduced by 90%. What will be particularly galling for these people is that the Heygate was relatively well designed in terms of daylight and sunlight with the large residential blocks being well spaced. The people in these sites, called the Elephant and Castle Early Housing were in come cases compelled to move from their homes, and now will face years living next to a building site, watching vast walls being constructed in front of their windows.
Building begins at Blackfriars Circus. To the right of the picture you can see the E&C Early Housing which will be completely overshadowed by the new buildings.

The whole EU referendum is a distraction - while we are told by our Mayor that hard-working immigrants are bad, he is selling our city to property investors from China and the Middle East.
Sunday 17 April 2016 6.22am
I had to laugh when I realised how many social housing homes were in e and c early housing Jazzy...15! So 1200 on the Heygate are eradicated, a few were built in Wansey st. Badly designed and small.
Sunday 17 April 2016 8.35am
I wonder what will happen to all the multi-million pound flats with spectacular views when all the other buildings go up and rob them of their views, and light? It is shocking that the council allow buildings to go up that rob the light from existing properties as they did with the Barratts Tower (Blackfriars Circus).
Sunday 17 April 2016 10.26am
As I sit here with the sun streaming in the window I know I would hate it if some developer came along and took the sunlght away.
Here is the link to the full article by George Turner.
Helpful if we have to put the case at some point in the future.

http://www.ourcity.london/daylight/daylight-robbery1/

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network