Better Air in Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 17 April 2016 2.04pm
The big 2 are far too soft on air quality. I think I'll be voting Green this time. If more people did the same it would get the message across and save lives.
Sunday 17 April 2016 2.15pm
The one thing I would like to know is, what kind of impact the cycle lanes will have on air quality, seems odd to wonder that but I understand stationary traffic, which has increased since the cycle lanes construction, has a greater impact with regard to air quality.
I'm really not spoiling for an argument, I genuinely would like to know. It's not just locally that traffic often stands still, it goes far and wide and seems to be a direct result of the taking of traffic space. Is it causing more pollution than before?
Sunday 17 April 2016 4.35pm
your right Boroughian, if the traffic is idling no one turns off their engines.pumping out all the time.
Monday 18 April 2016 12.41pm
I have always had worries about the pollution produced from cars now that bike lanes means that it is taking 30mins to get to places by car which used to take 10mins. This must be producing 3 times as much pollution. Increased congestion in London is undeniable & the effects on children is particularly concerning. Bike lanes are used mostly at rush hours only, the rest of the day are mostly empty. There must have been better ways of planning for bike lanes. (I'm disabled so, unfortunately, have to use the car if no public transport is available to me. I am therefore hyper aware of the worsened traffic situation).
Monday 18 April 2016 3.10pm
Good arguments. Do bike lanes slow down traffic and cause more pollution? It seems logical that if you half road space without halving the traffic, then the speed (at rush hour) is approximately halved? Maybe the council can monitor this and let us know. Of course if the traffic is powered mainly by filthy diesel & inefficient petrol engines, we're all wasting blogging time!!!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: