The Old Vic, The Caretaker, and "those suffering from mental ill health in the UK"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 April 2016 11.24am
Alongside their run of the Caretaker, the OLd Vic are running a panel which asks "Are we failing those suffering from mental ill health in the UK?"

http://www.oldvictheatre.com/old-vic-voices-off/caretaking-in-the-community/

So far the panel includes Luciana Berger (Shadow Minsiter for Mental Health), Paul Farmer CBE and CEO of Mind, and Simon Wellesley - President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists and proponent of the Biopsychosocial model, which is at the heart of the neoliberal theory that is behind the cuts to disability benefits and the welfare to work model.

Despite being told weeks ago that by failing to include at least one person who is a Service usser/ survivor, the Old Vic itself is filing those with mental health issues in the Uk, the Old Vic has not yet added a panellist who can adequately represent those with lived experience of using and surviving the system that has failed us, and continues to fail us - and which has led to so many deaths as the welfare reforms kick in.

In light of this, we can expect to se the event picketed by those who feel excluded from a debate that is about them......... under the slogan #NothingAbouyUsWithoutUs

How did the Old Vic manage to get itself into this position?
Monday 18 April 2016 12.59pm
It's a bit of a joke that a panel considering if we are failing those suffering from mental health doesn't have a "service user" among its number. Seems a bit pointless and short-sighted on the point of the Old Vic.

I have my own views on the term "service user" and what I think are negative/derogatory connotations that attach to it, but that's for another debate.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: