BBC DAB signal weaker than previously?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 18 April 2016 6.00pm
For the last two years I've had good DAB radio signal throughout our flat.
From last night I can no longer get BBC R4 or R4 Extra in the bathroom. Other DAB stations have good reception, but BBC is kaput.
Is anyone else having similar problems?
Does anyone know why this might be, or what I can do about it?
I'm using the same radio, and I've done a retune, and have now run out of ideas.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 18 April 2016 6.08pm
If the radio has a retractable aerial is it fully extended?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 April 2016 6.36pm
I've tried with the aerial extended, James, and (other than nearly spiking myself in the mush!) it makes little difference.
It's a bit better, but the signal is still stuttering.
Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Until yesterday, it worked fine without pulling the aerial out, and other DAB stations still give good reception with the aerial unextended.
I was wondering whether it was just me, or whether the BBC signal had got worse for anyone else...

Monday 18 April 2016 7.15pm
I looked on Twitter to see if anyone else was reporting problems - only one relevant tweet

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 April 2016 7.34pm
I've only got FM radio but Radio London is pesky to keep on the station, even with the aerial fully extended. Could it be the multitude of cranes causing the problems?
Monday 18 April 2016 7.38pm
Thanks, James.
I'm so behind the times that I never thought of Twitter (!oops!)

Tuesday 19 April 2016 8.01am
Something else I noticed this morning - since doing a retune of the available DAB stations yesterday, I notice that there used to be two stations between R4 and R4 extra, whereas now they are adjacent.

Is this telling me that those other channels (unfortunately I can't remember what they were - I never listened to them) no longer have a strong enough signal for me to pick them up?

Tuesday 19 April 2016 8.13am
My reception is fine in Trinity Street. Try borrowing another DAB radio, perhaps, and see if it makes a difference
Tuesday 19 April 2016 9.53am
Maybe that's what I need to do, bmovie. I live fairly near to you. It's the same radio that I've had for two years, and I haven't dropped it or anything, but I suppose it could have decided to get worse at picking up a signal.

It picks up other DAB stations just fine, but BBC is a lot worse than it was two or three days ago.

Tuesday 19 April 2016 1.45pm
I've noticed a poorer BBC reception in the last week - on both DAB radios I have - so unlikely to be a problem with the radios themselves.

I suspect a mast has been turned off, or the strength of the signal has been turned down, for SE London. I'm in SE16.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: