Virgin Media broadband - super slow speeds at night

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 22 April 2016 3.14pm
Is anyone in northern SE1 (near Southbank / Blackfriars Bridge area) experiencing super slow broadband speeds every night, roughly 8:00pm - midnight?

My broadband speed is about ~90 Mbps during day but then just 5-10 Mbps during these night hours.

I realize this is 'peak' usage time, but a drop-off of this magnitude (about 90% !) is not normal and is unacceptable.

I know of one other person in my block who is experiencing the exact same drop-off in speed, but Virgin is being very slow to resolve the issue as they're considering our problems to be isolated incidents. If more people had the issue and reported it, Virgin might act with more urgency.

So I was wondering if anyone else in the area has been experiencing the same issue.
Saturday 23 April 2016 12.19pm
I live off Park Street and have been having problems with my speeds which have been rather flakey over the last few weeks and the internet connection drops randomly. I'm with Sky and the speeds reduced from 16-18mbps to 4mbps at any time of the day. Sky are 'on the case' and although the speed has increased it's still drops the internet connection. They told me, I live close to the exchange and my internet is in conflict with the super fast connections - I reckon it's a load of cobblers but what do I know! Today they have reduced my speed slightly and said it would fix the problem - we'll see!
Saturday 23 April 2016 4.39pm
I live just off the cut and have virgin broad band . Not really noticed any slowing in speed ( I mainly use it for gaming on the PC and my ping is always pretty good) .

But have noticed over the past month intermittent connection drop outs which last 5 - 30 mins ....

Have called virgin who ran tests on the line and did some sort of reboot from there end and seems ok now ..
Saturday 23 April 2016 6.06pm
I had 2 years of problems with Virgin.
In one call they tried telling me that it's because I'm so close to the City (not a close as you) but later that seemed to be disproved.
One summer I had 18 engineers appointments.
I got slow speeds and dropouts often at a similar time of day but not always.
Keep complaining.
Even if you are an isolated case that's not your problem. It's theirs.
Do you have anything less than their top cost plan ?
(they keep changing the name I can't keep up)
Monday 25 April 2016 8.22am
"I'm with Sky and the speeds reduced from 16-18mbps to 4mbps "

I live in Shad Thames and dream of 16-18mbps! On a good day it is around 4mbps, on average 2.
Tuesday 26 April 2016 8.58am
ninja999 wrote:
I live just off the cut and have virgin broad band . Not really noticed any slowing in speed ( I mainly use it for gaming on the PC and my ping is always pretty good) .
But have noticed over the past month intermittent connection drop outs which last 5 - 30 mins ....

Have called virgin who ran tests on the line and did some sort of reboot from there end and seems ok now ..

Hi Ninja999 - Just curious, have you run any speed tests (both during the day and then again around 9:00pm)? I'd be curious what speeds you're getting.
Tuesday 26 April 2016 9.03am
pete&mish wrote:
I had 2 years of problems with Virgin.
In one call they tried telling me that it's because I'm so close to the City (not a close as you) but later that seemed to be disproved.
One summer I had 18 engineers appointments.
I got slow speeds and dropouts often at a similar time of day but not always.
Keep complaining.
Even if you are an isolated case that's not your problem. It's theirs.
Do you have anything less than their top cost plan ?
(they keep changing the name I can't keep up)

Hi Pete&Mish -

Did you ever get your issue resolved? Or did you give up or move?

I do have a higher plan (up to 100 Mbps), but not the 'highest'. I'm not sure what the highest is, but the other guy in my block that I mentioned is having a similar problem is paying for a plan that's supposed to have up to 200 Mbps in speed yet he's getting the same slow speeds at night that I am (5-10 Mbps).
Tuesday 26 April 2016 2.15pm
I've used the internet since 1991. I spend time in central London and central Paris and problems are similar (except that rip-off Britain is much more expensive). There are frequent drop-outs of a couple of minutes - irritating if listening to radio or trying to get quick information on some subject. My opinion is that we are now being screwed systematically by broadband suppliers, paying for client support - which provides usually ineffective support. They also expect the customer to do most of the work investigating the problem. Their teams get a salary for this. We don't. BUT - to reply to the comment "It's not your problem. It's theirs" - regrettably it is much more our problem than theirs as they take the money and we get poor service. Will some MP stand up and say "vote for me and I'll sort out the internet/phone/tv providers"? If so, I'll be the first to vote for him/her.
Wednesday 27 April 2016 4.34pm
RobB wrote:
ninja999 wrote:

Hi Ninja999 - Just curious, have you run any speed tests (both during the day and then again around 9:00pm)? I'd be curious what speeds you're getting.

ran speed test today - working nights so will do an evening one later

http://www.speedcheckerapi.com/Images/238322788.jpg
Wednesday 27 April 2016 11.31pm
I had problems getting any sort of speed when Virgin upgraded me to 60 and then 100mb.

Firstly, I changed my router as the superhub is rubbish. I now run the superhub in modem mode, with a separate Asus router.

Then I changed my network card in my laptop to a 5ghz card, which can handle the faster speeds.

Then, I downloaded a programme called Inssider Home (version 3.1) which checks the channels that all of the local connections. I found that a number of households in the block were using the same channels by default. So, I chose a channel which no one else was using. Now I have no real issues. My average download speed is 105mb.

If you are using the same channel as neighbours, then the signals get mixed up which slows the connection down.

Also, remember that many people have their mobile phones, tablets etc connected to wifi, so many of those will be downloading, updating etc in the background.

Sometimes, it's down to interference, other times it's hardware, and sometimes it's the service provider. It's a case of trying everything you can to improve your connection, which isn't easy if you're not pc savvy.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: