War museum phallic memorial

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 25 April 2016 10.54am
Interested in what people think of the peace tree sculpture in the Imperial War Museum for those that have -

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8568

I've allowed a passing of time to see if my opinion changed but the thing still looks like a wooden phallic symbol sticking out of the ground to me and ridiculously out of place against the Tibetan Peace Garden and the overall theme of the Museum grounds. I appreciate they tried to save a diseased tree but to me it's just plain ugly and has not worked.

My dog does like to go against it though.
Monday 25 April 2016 11.07am
If that's a phallic sculpture, I'd go see a doctor ;-)

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 25 April 2016 7.32pm
Maybe you should have councelling if you think anything standing upright created by nature is sexual?
Monday 25 April 2016 8.28pm
its a "sculpture" Paul, so not created by nature - in answer to your question though, if you look at the Pong Kdor Moha Tep plant
Monday 25 April 2016 8.31pm
Phallic memorial? Been a while has it?
Monday 25 April 2016 11.49pm
boroughonian wrote:
Phallic memorial? Been a while has it?

I should imagine that it has.
Aside from counselling, I'd suggest a trip to SpecSavers.
Tuesday 26 April 2016 9.03am
I like it, the top bit reminds me of a Celtic cross monument. I have carefully studied it ...and can see nothing that would remind me of my younger days!
Tuesday 26 April 2016 11.51am
Finally any opinion, thanks Jan. Yes it is sort of Celtic Crosslike at the top, maybe time will move me.
Tuesday 26 April 2016 1.32pm
jinkazama, I have had another look and at the bottom where the ribbon is being cut and it reminds me of a mother and baby where the figures intertwine, bit like the Moores, Henry or was it Barbara? I like it even more.
Tuesday 26 April 2016 1.48pm
From the artist Morganico -

"i fancied the idea of a more experimental piece, lots of abstraction but centred around the shape of a candle that also has a CND peace sign carved within the flame shape at the top (most visible when viewed from beside the Berlin wall near the warship cannons) . in an abstract piece people project their own ideas onto the shapes and gather their own meanings from it interpreting it how they like through the filters of their own mind"

I've always been more of a National Art Gallery person than a Tate so still not feeling this.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: