Mandela Way

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 30 April 2016 1.03pm
An acquaintance from north London has asked me a) what was on the site of Mandela Way SE1 prior to the road being there, and b) when was the name Mandela Way first adopted for that particular road.
I have googled like a man possessed, but other than sites that talk about the Rail depot there, I can find no info about specifically WHEN the name Mandela Way was first used there.
Nelson Mandela was jailed in 1964, and released around 1990 I think, so I'm guessing that Mandela Way SE1 was named in the seventies, but that's just a guess, any advance on that?
Saturday 30 April 2016 4.05pm
An OS map from about 1980 still shows the Bricklayers Arms rail depot.
Saturday 30 April 2016 6.04pm
Think Tom late eighties? Also Winnie Mandela house at Peckham was named about then. That was l Blind association bldg. then used by Southwark council, and then named after WM. Who built a million rand mansion in S.A. And murdered young men, can't remember why, something to do with a football team.
Saturday 30 April 2016 8.22pm
It was the end of the rail line and was the BRS depot (British Rail Services) freight depot
Sunday 1 May 2016 7.21am
I think 1992/1993 was when the name Mandela Way was introduced. It coincided with the new industrial estate on the railway yard site. My dad used to work from there.
Sunday 1 May 2016 9.05am
The Times 27 February 1991 (available on-line via Southwark libraries) reported 'the letting of the first unit in the first phase of the Bricklayers Arms scheme in Mandela Way in Southwark.' It's in the business section, so it waxes lyrical about the warehousing facilities, but doesn't comment on the name.

Surely there must have been a local ceremony when the road was named?
Sunday 1 May 2016 6.49pm
JOHNMERCEDES33 wrote:
It was the end of the rail line and was the BRS depot (British Rail Services) freight depot

I wouldn't bet the farm on it John, but when I was a poor truck driver, prior to becoming a better off black cab driver, BRS stood for British Road Services.
Your input is greatly appreciated though.
Sunday 1 May 2016 9.28pm
I remember British Road Services at the Bricklayer's Arms depot - my Uncle drove a Scammel Scarab for them.
Sunday 1 May 2016 9.50pm
DebraG wrote:
I remember British Road Services at the Bricklayer's Arms depot - my Uncle drove a Scammel Scarab for them.

I remember them well, Southern Railway had some.
They were round fronted 3 wheeled tractor articulator units pulling short trailers, they looked like toys.
Monday 2 May 2016 8.11am
Tom Pepper wrote:
DebraG wrote:

I remember them well, Southern Railway had some.
They were round fronted 3 wheeled tractor articulator units pulling short trailers, they looked like toys.

I remember the Scarabs in British Railways livery - I didn't realise BRS had them as well. What colour were they?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: