Estate Agent inciting fraud

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 3 May 2016 3.38pm
They do this on a regular - we get letters to our estate the whole time asking us to sublet our flats and they all know we are not owner occupiers.
Tuesday 3 May 2016 9.43pm
I'm in Guinness on Snowsfields and we've never had a letter like that. The one's we get are aimed at people who have taken up their right to buy. What the estate agents don't know is that no-one has bought their flat on this estate.
Wednesday 4 May 2016 12.36am
Except they do (or they should). Southwark has an easily searchable register that was discussed here: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/199849/199884#msg-199884. Several people were against it, but this shows exactly why it's needed. It's amazing how many people are outraged by what others do, but can never accept that they (or their neighbours) can be part of the problem.
Wednesday 4 May 2016 8.18am
sjac wrote:
Except they do (or they should). Southwark has an easily searchable register that was discussed here: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/199849/199884#msg-199884. Several people were against it, but this shows exactly why it's needed. It's amazing how many people are outraged by what others do, but can never accept that they (or their neighbours) can be part of the problem.

I guess it's more time/cost efficient for these estate agents to send mail to everybody rather than checking to whom it may or may not apply.
Wednesday 4 May 2016 8.29am
beetroot wrote:
I'm in Guinness on Snowsfields and we've never had a letter like that. The one's we get are aimed at people who have taken up their right to buy. What the estate agents don't know is that no-one has bought their flat on this estate.

I was told the Guinness Trust don't have the right to buy yet. Will be interesting to see if they do offer it though.
jpm
Wednesday 4 May 2016 9.35am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

I guess it's more time/cost efficient for these estate agents to send mail to everybody rather than checking to whom it may or may not apply.

Spot on! - Often it's all just done by postcode. I had the opposite happen and used to get letters all the time asking to buy my property when I was a council tenant. However it's cheap and easier just to mail or leaflet everyone than to try to get a list of who is/or isn't this or that and then pull out the letters for those irrelevant people.

Simple economics...
Wednesday 4 May 2016 9.48am
Pops wrote:
beetroot wrote:

I was told the Guinness Trust don't have the right to buy yet. Will be interesting to see if they do offer it though.

We've had the right to buy for a few years here on Snowsfields. Don't know about anywhere else.
Wednesday 4 May 2016 10.26am
We get these letter in Housing Asc Property on a regular basis just off SBR. I am tempted to sell my rented flat to them just to annoy our terrible land lord - but if I was going to commit fraud I would do it on a grand scale and sell them London Bridge!
Anonymous User
Friday 6 May 2016 2.45am
I've had a rep from Nelson's come into my building and caught them looking through a keyhole. I heard them move the sliding cover from one of the Chubb locks. Reported them to the police. Whenever they get access to the building past the communal door, all of them, not just Nelson's, they will have a scout around.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: