Lack of Boris bikes south east of TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 4 May 2016 11.38am
Does anyone know who is responsible for the fact that the boris bikes don't go any further into the SE of London than TBR?

I would love to be able to jump on a bike to get to Bermondsey Station, Canada Water or even Greenwich, but the docking stations near me are the furthest south east that they go.

It makes no sense that you can ride out to Canary Wharf, Clapham and Shepherds Bush, but can only get as far as Tower Bridge in the south east.
Wednesday 4 May 2016 11.57am
It needs TfL and Southwark Council to reach agreement.

The council is in favour. Andrew Gilligan - the outgoing mayor's cycling commissioner - has also made positive noises about extending the scheme to cover more of Southwark.

I suspect the sticking point is how much money TfL wants the council to contribute to the overall cost of the extension.

Several recent planning permissions for major developments in Bermondsey east of TBR have included financial contributions to install docking stations, so some of the background work is quietly being done.

It will happen - it's more a question of when than if.

It'll be something for the new mayor and whoever they appoint to lead on transport/cycling matters to get their teeth into.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 May 2016 2.27pm
I can't wait for it: I'd be a frequent and happy customer.
Wednesday 4 May 2016 3.47pm
It certainly doesn't make sense that there's nothing between Tower Bridge Road and along Jamaica Road until you get to the north of the Rotherhide Tunnel, when the bikes start again.

Feels like an unnecesary gap...
Wednesday 4 May 2016 7.18pm
Would also be in favour of this as it will take pressure off my local dock in Curlew St which is the most easterly of those south of the river!
Thursday 5 May 2016 6.22pm
It mirrors the situation with electric vehicle charging points. There's a conspicuous lack of EV charging points in Southwark when you look at the map at

This is despite a lot of new developments being built, and until 2015 grants available to local authorities, to install charging points. I had protracted correspondence with Southwark in 2014-15 but it got absolutely nowhere and I decided to give up my EV as a result.

With businesses and residents increasingly using EVs and air quality causing ill health to so many, 5+ years of almost no action on EV charging points and bike hire points (yet the quietways dreamt up and delivered in the same timescale) makes no sense. I think the highways department could learn a lot from the parks department about how to deliver public realm improvements!
Wednesday 25 May 2016 11.27am
At the end of this audio clip Caroline Pidgeon briefly presses Sadiq Khan about the prospect of bringing cycle hire to SE16

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: