The (new) Castle Leisure Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
jpm
Wednesday 4 May 2016 2.43pm
I thought it was worth starting a new thread about what the Castle Leisure Centre is actually like, now it's open.

I went there last night for a swim and was quite impressed. Of course everything is new and clean and they've gone for a simple - rather than an 'upmarket' - feel inside. But the pool is very pleasant and there's a nice steam room and sauna that open out onto the pool edge.

Some things they won't be able to change are that the shallow end of the pool is a bit shallow for my taste (you can bang your legs on the bottom when you're turning) and for some reason the pool says 'no diving' all the way round - even at the (1.8m) deep end.

But I'll certainly keep going back again and again. I'm glad the pool programme has some general swim most weekday early evenings (except Tues) - which is better than some of the Southwark pools, who completely book out the whole pool for, say, Swim School.

The learner pool still isn't open yet - not sure when that will happen.

I took a look at the gym upstairs - which is absolutely rammed with machines and offers some great views out over St Mary's Churchyard while you cycle or pump away. The main hall had a group of people in doing some sort of ball game and the studios look quite good too.

All in all I think this will be a great asset for the area - even if we've had to wait a hugely long time for it.
Wednesday 4 May 2016 8.09pm
Seconded. It's great, staff are very good so far as well, seems very busy already, and I'm starting to wonder if one new centre is enough for the thousands of proposed flats!
Thursday 5 May 2016 11.18am
I've been to a few classes and am very impressed. The studio had great views and the instructor was great.

With the Leisure Axess resident card it's very reasonably priced as well.

Overall, a pleasant surprise!
Thursday 5 May 2016 5.02pm
How big is the pool?
jpm
Thursday 5 May 2016 7.23pm
dee dee wrote:
How big is the pool?

It's 25 metre main pool, and reasonably wide
Saturday 7 May 2016 11.26am
From looking at the timetable I was disappointed that 'lane swim' only seems to be early morning and late evening.

For anyone who's already been, is it possible to swim up and down during the 'general swim' times, or are these full of kids and chaos?
jpm
Saturday 7 May 2016 4.09pm
I've swum up and down during lane swim - not too bad for chaos so far
Monday 9 May 2016 3.10pm
Great to see it open, will have to pay a visit soon.

Does anybody know if the learner/secondary pool is suitable for babies? Is it heated?
Friday 13 May 2016 7.59pm
I went to the training pool. It was lovely. Really warm & empty. I took my toddler. I would say it is suitable for babies.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: