Jamaica Road westbound traffic lights turning into Shad Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 9 May 2016 2.51pm
The traffic lights when turning into Shad Thames travelling westbound on Jamaica Road appear to have been re-sequenced in the last month or so. I too often spend a ridiculous amount of time waiting for a green light that can take ages compared to the other lights on that junction. Is this the experience of other drivers?
Monday 9 May 2016 3.03pm
I thought the same thing when waiting there yesterday. It was as though two sequences of the other lights took place before one sequence of the Shad Thames turning. I don't know if there's a wire/sensor in the road surface that quickens the sequence if there is a certain number of cars waiting?
Monday 9 May 2016 5.11pm
This morning it was taking so long that traffic wishing to turn right into Shad Thames were backed up blocking all traffic behind it, who were prevented from passing them by the bus lane.
Monday 9 May 2016 5.38pm
This is what we have come to expect from TfL. (I assume it is a TfL road due to presence of red route). They're doing it everywhere.

Not sure whether this one is TfL or Southwark, but what was a free-flowing junction at Borough Road/St George's Circus now only lets two or three cars through on a three-minute sequence.
Tuesday 10 May 2016 10.08am
Gavin Smith- I wondered about that. I was stuck for around 15 minutes late on a Sunday night at St George's Circus. I assumed it was a fault..
Tuesday 10 May 2016 10.23am
Sadly not, Nick. It would be excusable if it was a fault, but that is someone's idea of how a junction should flow!
Tuesday 10 May 2016 10.47am
Gavin Smith wrote:

Not sure whether this one is TfL or Southwark, but what was a free-flowing junction at Borough Road/St George's Circus now only lets two or three cars through on a three-minute sequence.

Agreed, it is completely ridiculous, particularly as once those lucky two or three cars have struggled through those lights, the pedestrian lights just around the corner on London Rd usually make you stop again thereby allowing no chance of a fourth car to get through.

One thing I simply do not understand is why St George's Circus is not a "proper" roundabout. That would help the poor residents of Garden Row, alleviate some of the traffic going up the north end of St George's Rd passing Notre Dame school and, best of all, let traffic coming east down Lambeth Rd go straight over past the cathedral to the Circus which, as a result, would reduce the traffic by at least a third that currently sits in the "car park" that is the lower end of Westminster Bridge Rd night and day.

Does anyone know why that lower end of Lambeth Rd, from the cathedral to the Circus has always been (to the best of my recollection) almost "sacred", and now more or less just a bus depot.

Sorry to go off topic OP.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: