Drinking outside the pub - when is there too many

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Thursday 12 May 2016 7.06pm
Sorry for the vague heading but can anyone answer me this?

I live very near a pub in SE1 and without giving the name away it's situated on a busy road with a narrow pavement at the front and there's no other outside space.

It's a lovely evening and the pavement is blocked with people drinking, chatting, smoking. People passing by cannot get through the crowd and many walk in the road to do so. I've just witnessed a mother and small child having to walk in the road.

I don't want to be a misery and complain straight away and so I was wondering ... what does the law (by-laws) say about blocking a throughfare in this way. As far as I know the licence for the pub only says that there should be no drinks outside after 10pm.

This is a potentially dangerous situation. Does anyone know?
Thursday 12 May 2016 7.38pm
libertine?
Thursday 12 May 2016 9.20pm
Thanks for that.
Friday 13 May 2016 7.07am
Kevinruari, please explain your one-word answer
Friday 13 May 2016 10.08am
I'd assume he's guessing the name of the pub in question, the Libertine just off Borough High Street.
Friday 13 May 2016 10.09am
I remember the Fire Station in Waterloo had issues with that in the past and eventually they put a few ropes to close-off a portion of the pavement (which is quite wide) for their exclusive use with their security guys always telling people to stay within the boundary. In your case, if the pavement is narrow, people may not even be authorised to bring drinks outside... not sure how/if the landlords could enforce it, though...
Friday 13 May 2016 10.22am
Thebunhouse wrote:
Kevinruari, please explain your one-word answer
I guess he's suggesting that Peter's unnamed pub is in fact The Libertine on Great Suffolk Street.

My personal approach to this situation is to insist, politely but quite assertively, that the thoughtless so-and-sos move so that I can pass through - especially if I'm with our toddler in her pushchair.

Pubs should of course do more to stop their customers from being a nuisance in this way, but they don't, and the authorities don't really care. In that respect I'm struck by the double standards applying to people commandeering public space for boozing purposes - if it's scruffy blokes in a park with economy size bottles of cheap cider then it's quite likely that Plod will have a word and move them on. Pavement-blocking post-work drinkers on the other hand are generally left to get on with it, even though in practical terms they might be more of a nuisance/hazard.
Friday 13 May 2016 10.27am
I had the same thought... I also live nearby to this pub (I think!) and have to cross the road as the pavement is always full of people on a sunny day.

Apparently you have to have a separate license for pavement drinking which takes into account if pedestrians will easily be able to pass, I'm not 100% sure if this only applies if you have tables/chairs though. The Fire Station had this license removed (http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3740) as connie said.

It would be an improvement if they could encourage people to move around the side.

Still do great pizza though ;-)
Friday 13 May 2016 10.34am
or do you mean the simon the Tanner

I have taken to yelling loudly excuse me until the people move I have found it works but large groups of people drinking can be very intimidating

I saw several people last night forced into the road by some rather oddly dressed people drinking outside and blocking the pavement-the staff really should be making sure this is not an issue
Friday 13 May 2016 10.52am
Yes Dee Dee, it's Simon the Tanner. There were a lot of people out there yesterday and they were making it very difficult for pedestrians. If it's the same this evening I will call the bar and ask them to do something about it. I know that in the past StT said they would get a rope barrier to cope with the problem. But they weren't obliged to and so never did.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: