New E&C plan unveiled

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 25 May 2016 2.38pm
Wednesday 25 May 2016 6.19pm
Whoever draws these things is certainly creative.

When I got my first job in London it was working in an office as an admin support for Jamie Ritblat, the now Chief Cheese of Delancey and son of the famous Conrad Ritblat. Way back then around the late 90's he ran a company called Freehold Portfolio Estates Management Limited. Whenver the phone rang we had to answer with the full company name. However most of the highbrow customers didn't want to listen to that earful everytime they rang and simply interrupted asking to speak to Jamie. He didn't like that, he wanted to hear the full company name spoken upon picking the phone up regardless.

I didn't last long there. Some nearly 20 years later I see the same logic is being applied to the Elephant.
Wednesday 25 May 2016 11.23pm
It's not going to get much sunlight with all those tower blocks
Thursday 26 May 2016 1.10am
Well designed tower clusters can actually be quite bright and vibrant places to live - San Francisco, Vancouver, and New York all have great examples. The individual flats will retain a lot of light given their height, and from first glance at the plans it looks like the tower placement will allow for a decent amount of sunlight on the public spaces and will minimise the reduction of light on existing buildings. I'm sure there will be an epic amount of scrutiny over every last detail, but certainly looks better than what we've got now!
Thursday 26 May 2016 8.06am
Did I miss something (again)? The University of Arts is being demolished? Don't get me wrong I'll be glad to see it go, truly ugly building, but I don't remember anybody ever mention it being developed.
Thursday 26 May 2016 2.04pm
So the plans are to build loads of luxury flats - Southwark has a policy of allowing builders to build their allotment of "affordable" housing elswhere these days, like Peckham. That way they don't have any poor people living in their blocks. But most of these will be sold to investors and will remain empty, although Southwark will try and get as many business to open up to provide for the non existant resineds and they will go out of business, making the whole area a very rich, ghost town. This is nothing but gentrification. It does nothing for the existing residents (many of whom are being rehoused elsewhere). It's just a money making scheme for Southwark.
Thursday 26 May 2016 2.18pm
Making me think that Strata was supposed to have business units on the ground floor, wasn't it? Missing Castello restaurant!
The design of the E&C shopping centre does not look that big compared to the other towers around. Hope it will retain some useful shops and will give us a proper supermarket, I hate this horrible Tesco Metro. Pity they could not restore the old cinema instead of building a new one.
Thursday 26 May 2016 2.38pm
batfastard wrote:
But most of these will be sold to investors and will remain empty,

None of these homes are for sale - they will all be rented out by the developers.

So in that respect this scheme is offering something different compared to most big developments.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 26 May 2016 4.37pm
connie wrote:
...Hope it will retain some useful shops and will give us a proper supermarket, I hate this horrible Tesco Metro. ...

I don't know about the useful shops, but there's a huge Sainsbury currently being built just the other side of the railway line, down the New Kent Road.

Typically Southwark Council can't even do gentrification properly; this really would have been the best place in the area for a Waitrose.
Thursday 26 May 2016 4.53pm
Any more info about the huge Sainsburys?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: