Toilets in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 31 May 2016 7.19am
Just seen on tv that almost 10 councils in England now dont operate any public toilets,Wandsworth was named, yet is Southwark the same as I din know of many in SE1 area, I know you can use the library near the Borough tube and the court - yet dont recall seeing any public ones around, you can also use one of the many hotels that are springing up, sorry if this post is not to everyones tastes

I have also posted on chatter now I know where to put posts that are not to do with SE1
Tuesday 31 May 2016 8.24am
I agree - a distinct lack of loos! All the health and wellbeing literature emphasises the need to drink and keep hydrated but I have to go all day with no water if I'm going out, due to the distinct absence of any WCs. I keep a mental list of places where I can go but last week the loos in Bermondsey Square were locked to my utter dismay.
Perhaps this thread could be a handy guide to places you can 'go' in the borough? Guy's Hospital has loos, Costa in Tooley Street, Wetherspoon's and More London are ones I know. Hay's Galleria used to have them but they've disappeared and Southwark Cathedral charges. I'm female so it's harder for us than the chaps!
Zoe
Tuesday 31 May 2016 8.32am
The council offices in Tooley Street have a toilet as well. There is also one on the North side of London Bridge, on the right (an underground one).

The lack of toilets really is disgraceful, it's because of government cuts to local government finance, as children's social services is always going to be a bigger priority than toilets, but a lack of toilets can be life limiting for some people.
Tuesday 31 May 2016 8.52am
Totally agree with you ladies, what if you old, disabled or in ill health, I know Wandsworth operate a system where certain shops get paid by them so you can use their loos - however one or 2 still refuse you
Tuesday 31 May 2016 3.06pm
All McDonald's have toilets
Tuesday 31 May 2016 3.36pm
I would make it a condition of the license issued to all public houses to make their toilets available to all.

To ensure compliance, another clause could state that if the toilets are out of order (a likely excuse bar staff may give to someone who pops in to use the loo) then the establishment must close immediately and only reopen once the 'fault' has been fixed.
Tuesday 31 May 2016 3.40pm
okrdave wrote:
All McDonald's have toilets

oh God have you been in a McDonalds loo they are disgusting!!!

if your a woman you can always pretend to be pregnant - I believe shops etc are supposed to let you use the loo if you are!
Tuesday 31 May 2016 4.26pm
The footballers over at Hatfields just pee nearby, and I hear there is going to be a patrol to curb this. I had a friend from Paris who just did the same at the kerb whenever she felt the need. "It is natural" she said.
So it is, but you would never guess this the difficulty we have finding a clean and available facility.
Tuesday 31 May 2016 4.42pm
Jules62 wrote:
I would make it a condition of the license issued to all public houses to make their toilets available to all.
To ensure compliance, another clause could state that if the toilets are out of order (a likely excuse bar staff may give to someone who pops in to use the loo) then the establishment must close immediately and only reopen once the 'fault' has been fixed.

Some pubs put up signs saying 'Toilet use for punters only" or something along those lines, but usually when I ask they let me use them anyway. About 30 years ago I had a brief spell as a cleaner, and nothing gets dirty faster than toilets used by customers in public places. So you get a lot of people complaining that a toilet is dirty. I doubt pub have cleaners on site, so sending down to clean the mess someone who will afterwards serve drinks/food is not greatly appealing.
Tuesday 31 May 2016 5.31pm
Here are a few public toilets
Southwark Cathedral (free).
MORE LONDON (pay) across from M&S/EAT
Guys Hospital (free).
Tate Modern (free)
White Cube Gallery on Bermondsey Street (free)
Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre (free)
John Harvard Library on Borough High Street (free)
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: