Nightly HELICOPTER noise over Southwark / Bermondsey near the river - very annoying and bizarre!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 7 June 2016 2.08am
Who has noticed horrible nightly helicopter noise over Southwark starting after 1am and loudly hovering over the area sometimes even with a huge search light coming out!

Weird, unexplained and awfully loud and annoying. Worrisome. Can we request information on this?
MCR
Tuesday 7 June 2016 10.07am
It's not ideal, I moved away from the river front because of this and the boat noise at night. Helicopters navigate thru London along the Thames at night so it's always going to be there, also the area seems to attract jumpers so the Met Police helicopter's are very busy, follow them on Twitter for info on their movements.
Tuesday 14 June 2016 10.27pm
Unlike civil aviation flights, helicopters and private light aircraft do not have any night time restrictions.
Thursday 16 June 2016 11.49pm
I don't think this is just the usual helicopter noise. Since a few weeks there's been a real surge in day and evening helicopter flights over the area. Not sure why---I thought it'd have to do with the Queen's 90th birthday, but that wouldn't explain why they're still going. Bloody annoying.
Friday 24 June 2016 4.25pm
From the Port of London Authority:

On Saturday 25th June 2016 and Sunday 26th June 2016 between 0800 and 0930 low level helicopter filming operations will take place 200 feet upstream of Tower Bridge. The filming will involve crossing the Thames from north to south at a height of 100 feet above the river.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 25 June 2016 10.10am
And true to form, the chopper duly rocked up just after quarter past seven.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: